To move or not to move?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Tough question. I planted this beauty before I knew better...several years ago. Now of course it's too close to the sidewalk. I have room to move it to the right in the photo. But I'm very reluctant to fool with such a pretty plant. Problem is, to be able to dig around it and not have a 500 pound rootball, I'd need to prune it back pretty good. Also once it's dug out, I'd need to lift it up and over into the new hole. So being able to get myself into position well enough to drag it over there, I'd need space...so that means possibly more pruning. I was thinking of using the loader on the tractor to lift it up and over...just a little, not way in the air. My concern way maybe the weight of the rootball would be too much for the trunk where I place the strap to lift the tree with the loader. You think it will be a problem if I do it very slow and easy? Maybe it'll be ok. I just want it to live and thrive if I have to move it. I know they are pretty hardy trees. So maybe it'll be ok.

Opinions? Loader? No Loader? Prune away and not worry about it? Leave it where it is?

Thumbnail by hczone6
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Is that a Japanese maple? If it is I think you can prune it to be a tree.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

hczone6, You don't say or at least I didn't see what kind of shrub/tree it is. I think it probably is a maple. To tell you the truth in my opinion, I would leave it where it is and prune when necessary , best if done in summer, not spring. I am certainly no expert and if it isn't an Acer of some kind then I am way off base. Anyway Good Luck. DonnaS

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, Japanese Maple. My problem is I don't want it to end up looking goofy or out of place when it gets bigger and bigger. I'd prefer to let it do what it does naturally - weep. I want to avoid pruning it as much as possibe because it's beautiful like it is now.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I do understand your feeling of not want to change the shape. Move the sidewalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or put stepping stones out for tree limbs. Just an idea. DonnaS

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Curving the sidewalk around the tree might be the beginning of a great improvement to your landscape! We can't tell that from the photo, but do consider it.

Guy S.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of THAT! ;) Might be possible since I could easily haul off the concrete with the tractor. First I'd have to convince the wife it's a smart thing to do...LOL

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi hczone6!! I have friends here that are moving to another area and wanted me to transplant a three year old maple like you have. The trunk is about an inch and a half thick and about four and a half feet tall... I'm not sure how big a ball to dig to move.....and I've heard that they are very finicky when transplanted ,so, what to do???? The purchase price on this maple was over a hundred dollars from a green-house here in Kansas and any info would be much appreciated!! Greenup......

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure the the 'official' answer is on how much of a root ball to maintain on a tree/shrub when moving...but I always try to get as much as possible. As much as I can handle myself anyway. I can usually get a pretty big ball of soil on things like this. Much beyond the size of this tree and I probably would never attempt it due to it getting too heavy to handle. If I do end up doing this, I'll likely dig out a large rootball and then rock it onto a piece of plastic/tarp/sheet, whatever...and then drag it to it's nearby new home. I can probably use a tamping bar to pry it up enough to stick a sheet or something under it. I just hope if I do this, I don't run into any big roots going deep. Being a maple, I would think it'll recover fine.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think I'd leave it alone too, and move the sidewalk. It's beautiful!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Sidewalk move is out of the question. I already 'asked'. :(

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Japanese maples are so elegant and slow growing. Many Japanese maples are used in bonsai so it should prune well. But consider this. This tree at this size would be very expensive to replace - it's probably worth more than the sidewalk! Tell that to whoever said no moving the side walk. Otherwise just leave it alone and make everyone walk around it!

Someone asked this question on this site
http://www.arboristsite.com/archive/index.php/t-430.html

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

"Sidewalk move is out of the question. I already 'asked'. :("
------------------------------
Wrong approach -- you don't ask, you TELL!

"Honey, I'm moving the sidewalk today --
where would you like me to dump the broken concrete?"

Guy S.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL....yeah. But I prefer peace and quiet. It's not worth it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.