Start of my Coleus bed.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I went to our local nursery Thursday this is what I picked up. I already had the Kong just added them to the bunch to make a family portrait.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Great variety!! I have been busy also. Just downloading my pics. I went a bit nuts too.

My DH can't understand why I am out there buying plants and not putting them in the ground. I told him it is to early to plant them outside yet, then he wants to know why am I buying them now then. I just tell him BECAUSE, I am ready for it to be time, and besides if I wait until it is time all the good stuff may be gone. I like to get the pick of the liter, and not just all the left overs, cause they don't mark any left overs down around here. Then he says you have all these plants in the house to get planted, plant them first and then buy new ones. Will all I have in the house that needs to go out are Brugs, Tropical Hibiscus, a Banana Tree, Rice Paper Plant, and I know where they are going. Then I am making new flower beds, 1 around each of my Red Bud trees for my Caladium bulbs (which I just noticed are starting to get some green on them). That leaves a bed by his garage for my Coleus and 2 big tractor tires, that I have no ideal what is going in them yet. But I bet by the middle of May they all will be full. Oh Yea, I still need to make up 5 hanging baskets for outside, or maybe I will go shopping and just buy them. Then better yet maybe I will get some for Mothers Day.

Decisions,Decisions, what is a girl to do?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. Really. Why these men just do not get, I will never know!

Sounds like you have great plans. Post pictures when you get down with these beds. I would love to see them.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them planted, and everything starts coming up.

Now if I was going out and buying fishing equipment, my DH wouldn't be asking why I was buying them. My DH really enjoys the yard once all the flowers are coming up and blooming, it's just the ideal that I may need his help in building new flower beds.

Last year his favorite was the one next to his garage with all the coleus in it.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That looks great. Did you harvest any of those seeds? I had that coleus last year, the one kind of in the center. I loved it. I haven't seen it yet this year.

I just finished emptying my car from my nursery hopping yesterday. My DH asked if we were having a flower show soon. LOL. He is being mellow about it. Thank god.

Yes I rooted a bunch of it but with my limited space (without a GH) I guess I didn't take to good of care of it or something cause it all died. I had kept them in my mini GH in the spare bedroom on the bottom shelf. I with everything in that poor little mini I think I neglected it. But this year I got some seeds coming from Park Seeds and I may use them to start some next winter around Feb. This is my first year of doing any of this and it doesn't take long to learn from your mistakes. The coleus does put on a show.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Kell:

Where are the seeds and how do you harvest them?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi 2pugdogs! What a nice family photo! It looks like you're gonna have fun this year with all those beauties! And it sounds like your house is a tropical paradise! LOL Where did you find rice paper plant??? Waaaaaaaaa....I want one!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Whoa, which one is the rice paper plant. I gotsa learn everything.

Thanks

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Hap.....there isn't a pic of the rice paper plant. You can search the net for Tetrapanax papyrifera. One day I'm gonna have one! LOL

I was real lucky, a very generous DG'er had a pup she saved for me over the winter, and then sent it to me last week. It is doing great haven't lost a leaf, she thought that I might. But she did real good with this pup and it looks really good. Can't wait to put it outside and watch it grow.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Delecie, I was talking about all the flowers on 2Pugdogs picture above. I have never harvested coleus seeds but I am getting very intersted in cross pollinating some. What fun to see what colors you would get.

2Pugdog's picture

Thumbnail by Kell
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Kell. How do you cross pollinate coleus?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Brinda,

I checked our PF and they had all the poop on the plants.....To me it would be trouble, they say it's invasive. It may not be in your area, but in my part of Florida which is an all year greenhouse, my neighbors on the next block would have them too. Good luck.

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks Happy! I did read where it could be invasive. I may be wrong, but I think in my area it would die back and not be 'so' invasive. Not even sure if it would come back. I have a 15 gal pot reserved for it when I do find it. LOL

2pugdogs....sorry I hijacked your thread!!!

NO PROBLEM this thread is open to anyone who want to enter something, I enjoy reading about it all.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL...ty! Don't forget to post pics of your rice paper plant when you get it planted!

Here is a picture of the Rice Paper Plant right now. The new leaf in the middle was just starting when I got it, and it looks like there is another one coming on as will. As soon as it gets outside I will post another picture.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Sammamish, WA(Zone 7b)

I love it - This very thread on the monitor in the background!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You will have to keep me posted. I'm curious how it does in Kansas in the ground. I hear it is invasive in warmer climates, but I'm sure you won't have that problem. You are going to leave it out all winter? Right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.