Hass Avocado Question

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I read that two or three trees can be planted in a single large hole to save garden space and enhance pollination.
My question is do avocado trees have a male/female or will any two Hass tress work?
Thanks
Dovey

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Since no one else has as yet commented, I'll stick my nose into someplace where it probably doesn't belong (I know little about avocado). If 'Haas' is a cultivar, you will need to use a different cultivar with it to improve pollination. Planting two trees of the same cultivar is no different than having two branches of the same tree -- they are genetically identical and will pollinate no better than having one tree. But yes, you can plant them in the same hole if necessary due to space limitations.

Guy S.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Guy,
I appreciate your reply, I'm not too up on technical terms and had to look up the definition of cultivar.
I glad you pointed that out.
(BTW it is a HASS avocado not a HAAS)
I layman's terms, if I want to increase pollination I should plant my Hass and say a Fuerte or Bacon in the same hole.
The Fuerte and Bacon bear fruit at a different time of year, so that presents another question, do they need to flower at the same time to pollinate each other?

Thanks
Dove

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, they do. Good luck with them, however they're spelled!
Guy S.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you Guy... you've been a great help and I really appreciate it

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have a Mexicola Avocado and according to the tag it's self pollinating. I really wanted a Hass or a Fuerte, but alas, they don't do as well here as the Mexicola does. And the Mexicola isn't doing all that well here either! lol

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Judy,
From what I've read even the Hass will produce without another tree near by.
But they will produce a great deal more with another tree to help pollinate.

I wonder why your tree isn't doing so well... we are in similar zones.
How long has it been in the ground?

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I had an avocado tree growing last year but alas I did not bring it inside in the Fall and I lost it!! And I am in South Carolina!! Since Avocado IS a tropical sort of tree anyone north of Florida or California probably should pot these so you can bring them inside at least the first couple years??? Bonnie

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Bonnie,
What a shame you lost your Hass.
Does it get very cold in your area?

From what I've read, Avocados are a little fragile to extremes (heat or cold)
In my area the "mirco-climate" must be near perfect for them... between here and San Diego we are surrounded by avocado groves.
To start off my main concern is in the summer heat, I plan to set up a patio umbrella to shade it from the sun. I hope it's somewhat established before January and February (our coldest months)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Avocados and macadamias will generally do well wherever regular citrus does. I can grow the hardier citrus types here, such as tangerines and Meyer lemons, but lost avocado seedlings even with protection.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

dovey, my avocado has been in the ground for two weeks. right now it seems to be getting better. I do believe I wasn't watering it enough either. I took a chance and watered it two days in a row and it seemed to do lots better. I was told not to overwater, and I'm thinking maybe I took it too the extreme. I know nothing about fruit trees. My Panamint Nectarine is doing awesome. Maybe I should get another variety for better pollination?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Judy,
Even when instructions warn not to over water, I find you need to water more often until the plant is established. (then again you need to be careful not to drown a plant that may be suffering a little transplant shock.)

I think it really depends on how much room you have and how much you love avocados.
I'm sure one tree will produce well... two trees will produce better. My Husband is on the opinion that when it comes to avocados more is way better. *L*
That's why I'm planting two.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

dovey, I think your husband's idea of having two avos is great and I think I will find another variety to plant. How far apart can they be. I live in the low desert and my soil is the alluvial fan from the mountains around me. no rocks, holds water well but doesn't get swampy. In the high heat of the summer it starts to dry out faster so I guess I will water it daily and see what happens. I have my shade cloth over it so it can get established alot better. I think once it gets established I can take the shade cloth down. All I want is my own avos to make my own guac. lol

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Judy,
You can plant the trees in the same hole together one Hass and one Holiday.
Mine have about 1 foot between them and a tent (of sorts) to protect them until they get established. It's goofy looking but effective.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1463800
After a couple of weeks I opened the back side of the tent so they would be exposed to morning sun. I haven't decided if I will keep them partially shaded all summer or not. I'll just watch and see how they respond.
Dovey

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is so innovative. I think I will do the same thing you have done. I'll get another variety to plant about a foot away from the other one. I'll just make the basin wider so it will appear that its one tree. One problem is finding another variety here in Az. I seem to only be able to find avocados at Home Depot and they are always the Mexicola. Mine isn't the Mexicola Grande, its the plain old Mexicola. I wonder if I planted the Mexicola Grande if that would be a suitable tree as a companion tree?

Thumbnail by Judy81350
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Judy,
I know what you mean I had a hard time finding anything but Mexicola.
I found the Hass at Wal-Mart, in a tube type container.
The other tree "Holiday" I found at Lowes (I think) (maybe Home Depot)

The Wal-Mart tree had a much smaller, younger (fragile) poorly developed root ball.
Although the tree is still very healthy.

As Guy said, If they are "genetically identical" two will pollinate no better than having one tree.
Also both trees must flower at the same time to have any effect on each other.

If saving space (not wanting more fruit) is your goal, then it doesn't matter if they are the same.

I think your Mexicola looks lonely and needs a companion *S*
Let me know how it goes
Dovey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.