Variegated Ginkgo

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to share one of my favorite trees. I've had this in a container for the past four years and am considering planting it in the ground now. I wish I could figure out how to take cuttings from it (or even grafts). So far my attempts at propagating have failed (probably through ignorance).

This is not the cultivar named 'variegata'; it has consistent, striped variegation on each leaf and no all-green or all-white leaves. The leaves come out almost solid lime green in the spring and then the light parts become cream colored and the dark parts get darker within a few weeks. In this photo the colors haven't fully differentiated yet. I'll post another one later in the season when the colors are more strongly contrasted.

I'd like to add it to the PlantFiles but I need to find the cultivar name first.

Thumbnail by tropicalaria
Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Another picture of the leaves.

Thumbnail by tropicalaria
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my!!! That is so beautiful. I wonder if it would do well in hot humid Florida. I must have one!!!!!! Where did you get it.

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I got it from Skye Nursery in Seattle, four years ago. I haven't been back to see if they got more in, but it was the only one they had at the time. The name on the tag was 'Sunbeam'. There was no patent or origin information included, so probably not patented. Searching for gingko varieties on the net is hard because of all of the herbal extract companies, and so far I have been unable to find out any information about its origin or whether it is related to the other stable variegate I've heard of, which is 'Rainbow'.

As far as hot and humid goes, I've had it where it's hot (here), and I've had it where it's humid (Olympic peninsula), without problems. I have no idea about both together :)
Are there other ginkgos growing where you live?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I dont remember seeing any, but I would love to try.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Tropicalaria, what a pretty tree, and congratulations to you in keeping it alive and growing in a pot for that lenghth of time. Are you planning to stay in the Tricities area ? Keep us posted on what you decide. DonnaS

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh! (slaps forehead)
I totally missed the connection here that I had already talked to you earlier in the year about some ginkgo seedlings...

I wish I had propagations of *this* ginkgo to trade :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.