May apples!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My may apples are up! There's one area on my property where they grow every year to cheer me up in early spring.

Thumbnail by boojum

Bigger view.

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is a beautiful patch!! Lots of little umbrellas!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Are there 2 different kinds of Mayapples? I have some that are plain green with broad leaves while some others have darker green/gray spots on them and have slimmer leaves.

Don't know!

Doesn't mention 2 here.
http://www.briartech.com/earlyspring/mayapple/may.htm

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

These are the local wild ones...I took this just this afternoon.

Thumbnail by melody
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

In yesterday's AJC Garden section, Erica Glasener had an article on shade gardens. She mentioned three different mayapples: Podophyllum peltatum (our native), Podophyllum pleianthum (Chinese Mayapple), and Podophllum 'Kaleidoscope', with hexagonal green leaves with a pattern of silver surrounded by black. I still would like to find references to the ones I have with mottled leaves that are smaller than the plain green ones.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Podophyllums are amongst my favorites. We have several really nice large patches of them in our woods. I took this picture today, they are just budding.
Location Fleetville, Lackawanna County, NE Pennsylvania

Thumbnail by RUK
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Some of mine have a white flower on them,they are all green,not the red color like the first photo.Jody

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

Those are the beautiful pictures. I would like to grow them too. Can I have the mayapple seeds from any one of your?

Thanks,

Fang

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll look to see if I have any seeds left on the mayapples.Jody

Wauconda, IL

When May-apples first come up, they have a reddish tint to the leaves. After the leaves have matured, they turn green. Mine look the same! April

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, when they first come up they have the mottled leaves and then turn green..it is the same plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.