Starting new plants from cuttings

Linden, TN

I would like to get more plants from the few that I have... Do you root them in water first or is it better to use a rooting hormone and put them directly in potting soil to root?

Thanks,
Carolyn

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I use both methods, but I have found they root faster with a rooting hormone and dirt and some bottom heat.

Cathy

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll second the dirt! I don't use rooting hormone or heat tho. Still, haven't lost a one..

Linden, TN

Thanks,,, I will try the dirt method and see how that works...

Blessings,
Carolyn

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I always fill a long planter, like a window box size, with potting soil and sit it close by my containers. When I pinch them back I just stick the cutting in the planter, keep it watered and most of them take root. When I am ready to make a new container I just use those cuttings. Of course sometimes I don't use them and they all just grow up together and make a "crazy quilt" box. My mother always did this with her Coleus and Impatience too.
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My best luck is with roottone and 3 or 4 inch pots of soil. Just keep damp, not soaking.

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

I just take snips and stick them in soil. I usually add some to existing hanging baskets or container planters. Last fall I took cuttings of a lot of the coleus before the last frost. Here's one that overwintered in the greenhouse. This is Coleus Velvet Red that I started from seeds in spring 04.

Thumbnail by woodthrush
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Rooting in soil makes for stronger roots. I have rooted in water and I let them go too long. The resulting plants don't always take to being transplanted into soil. Some are successful, but others die off. I find that if you get them from water to soil while the roots are still fairly short, you have better success.

Linden, TN

Woodthrush, those are positively beautiful...and wow are they ever red.... What a nice contrast they would be for Hostas... I will be going to Jackson next week and will be looking for more Coleus for sure.....

Thanks for the advice... I am preparing a window box today to put my cuttings in...

Blessings,
Carolyn

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Velvet red is beautiful. I like the planter idea, I'll have to keep that in mind when the pinching begins. I have also had luck with just putting in soil, no hormone, and little water and no bottom heat. I sprayed some unrooted cuttings with messenger and they rooted in 3 days in promix. That's the quickest I had cuttings root.

Cathy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Cathy, I like your style!
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.