For a gal in Hereford

This fella? gal? jumped on the wall peeped in my living room & then up on to the roof.. wish I had a camera with zoom.. I think he came to wish you happiness in your gourd forum..

Thumbnail by angele
Crossville, TN

HEY! That's ME up there, Angele!! I seldom fly high but I just had to look in on you....LOL

Welcome to Dave's...I hope you hang out with us here in the Gourd area....Where are you located?? Jo

Good Morning Jo,

Thanks ever so much for the welcome- I will be stopping by! I Haven't ever grown gourds or really tried my hand at crafts but I love looking at what others are creating. Those chickens that Gourd made were amazing. I just bought this home in Elephant Butte, NM & it happens to have gourds growing just on the other side of our block wall, in an empty lot. From the ones I saw last November they are small- baseball to softball size. The plants are really growing like mad right now.
I was so amazed when that roadrunner jumped on my roof yesterday. I was curious to see how he planned on getting down. He just glided clear across the street when he was ready. Of course I thought of you when I saw him.

Crossville, TN

The wild gourds you see behind your fence is probably either Coyote Melons, or Buffalo Gourds....the difference between them is the leaves...Coyote Melon has finger-type leaves...and Buffalo Gourd has a sail-shaped, heavier leaf. The gourds look the same...They are softer than our domestic gourds....use a mask over your nose when opening them...as with most gourds.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58001/index.html

Crossville, TN

Here are some Tree Ornaments I made from Buffalo (or coyote) gourds...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/364098/

If you would like to show your town and state just go to My Info at the top of this forum...click on Manage My Preferences...and then Location. Most of us show our home town...it makes it easy to ID our new friends and neighbors...

Speaking of neighbors...I am just off I-10 near the NM Border...if you're over this way...give a yell and we'll "do lunch" at least! Jo

Love what you did with those gourds.. really really cute & that's neat the way you identified the gourds by my fence without a picture.. I'm sure they are the buffalo ones.. the gourds looked just like that last fall. There must be a dozen plants. Here's a picture for confirmation.

We travel through on I10 a few times a year.. my family is mostly in the San Diego area, and DH family is in Phoenix area. His Grandma was born in a buckboard wagon while the family was waiting for New River to go down so they could make it across. We were in Wickenburg for 1 year but I missed NM so much we came back last October. I love the small towns out west. Do you ever come to NM?

Thumbnail by angele
Crossville, TN

That's Buffalo gourds alright!!

I never get to NM anymore...widow lady that can't drive that far...BUT...when you are going to San Diego, stop by and get me...my DGD just got Shore Duty in that lovely town...and lives in the Imperial Beach area...and I have a standing invitation to visit!! LOL Jo

Lucky gal, your DGD, nice town to get duty. How long will she be there?

Crossville, TN

She just starts her Duty tomorrow...so I guess 3 or 4 years..she has been at Lemoore, CA (And on the Abe Lincoln) for a few years...she is with an air squadron...so I don't know what she will be doing...she said "sitting in an office with my feet on the desk"...I said...won't you be bored after what you've been doing (flight deck "shooter") she said 'yep". LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.