Tibetan Tree Peony

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I couldn't figure out why my tree peony didn't look like any pictures of anyone else's tree peony. Yesterday I was looking thru an older issue of the white flower farms catalog and they had what they called a 'tibetan tree peony' that looked exactly like mine! So I guess that is what I have. They said it was rare, altho how rare can a plant be that you can order from a catalog for $17.50? ;)

This thing would be lovely just due to its size (currently over 5 feet tall and at least as wide), but it has pretty yellow flowers that smell wonderful too.

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Actually, it was the Raintree catalog, not the White Flower Farms one.

And now I'm confused again as it says the flower is a single and you can clearly see this is not a single. But the way the plant grows is identical to the picture in the catalog.

We have only recently moved into this house and someone has placed a hideously-thorned rugosa rose smack in front of the tree peony. After the rose blooms I will decide if it stays to be transplated elsewhere or is dug and donated to a friend of mine looking to put in a rugosa hedge on her property.

This is a side view as when I stand straight on, the rugosa blocks much of the peony.

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Gwendalou, I'm not sure what you have there, but all I can say is that it's is one of the most beautiful tree peonys I've seen. Consider yourself very lucky to have such a beautiful peony. ;)

Diann

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Gwendalou,

I second Ticker's opinion. I'm in the second year of growing my first Tree Peonies, and although they pose a bit of a challenge in my zone, if the reward is even a fraction of what you've got I'll be happy. What a beaut!

Don

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Yesterday I went on the garden tour in my area and there were tree peonies at most every house. Most of them were the normal variety we all know and lust after. Most of them had only one blossom on them but these were enormous beyond belief blossoms. Some had two blossoms. Most were tall but only one or two branches.

Then I got to the last house and was given a list of plants that said 'tibetan peony' on it. Of course I just had to get to see it and went looking for it immediately. It was the exact same one I had, altho not in bloom. It was more in shade than mine which is now in full bloom. But, theirs was twice as high as mine! It was huge! Mine is in front of a wrap around porch so I'm not sure I want it to get much higher as it already tops the porch rail. But theirs was just this huge huge thing. So I'm pretty certain that this tibetan peony is of a different type than most tree peonies. Their garden is not much older than mine if that. So they must have bought it as a larger tree. They had 11 planted acres (54 total) and millions if not billions of dollars and have brought a lot of very very big stuff in, so who knows where they got this.

Anyway, since it can be had from the Raintree catalog for a mere $17.50 plus shipping, I would think anyone who liked peonies might want to own this, just because it is unusual and so so pretty.

The other tree peonies are also gorgeous (the blooms themselves are actually much more impressive), but I see no reason one can't have one each of every variety. ;)

There was one house that had tree peonies and the blossoms were really wierd, like two blossoms, one on top of the other in a double scoop ice cream fashion. The colors were gorgeous. I took a lot of pics and will try to upload them and post them later today or tomorrow.

Gwen

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Gwen, cool, do post pictures. ;)

Diann

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Gwendalou, you have yourself one beautiful tree peony. It must be gorgeous when it is in full bloom. I have never tried the tree peonies. Think that would be a real challenge in my zone, actually I don't think it would survive. I will have to stick with the herbaceous. Great photo too.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, when I went back and looked at the photos, I can't believe I didn't take a photo of that huge tree peony. The tall plant in the background of this *might* be it taken from a side angle, but I'm not sure as I thought it was more in the shade and against a house structure. If this isn't it, it looks similar. It was actually this high. Altho I don't remember it looking this full as they grow more in 'sections.'

Gwen

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Now that I look at that enlarged, I am more convinced it is that tree peony. Anyway, here is another I took at a different garden and this is the more typical tree peony. The single bloom on it was even prettier in person.

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Broots - 2b, how cold does it get there? Gee, I am getting cold just thinking about it! What kinds of things do well in your zone? Maybe you could grow it in a pot. On this garden tour, one of the gardens was all rhodies. They had a fragrant rhodie (Mi Amor) which is not as hardy in our zone as the others and he was growing that in a pot. It was humongous. He moves it to a greenhouse in the winter. He is a 'renowned rhododendron hybridizer,' so has a greenhouse on the property that is larger than the average home greenhouse. I think we are right on the borderline for hardiness for this plant. Anyway, maybe you could try some of the tree peonies on pots.

Gwen

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Gwendalou it gets quite cold here in the winter. Can go down to -50º but the norm is usually between -30º to -45º. Then you add in the windchill which makes it even worse, like -60º. We do have a dry cold, not like down south in Toronto which is very damp. But hey, cold is cold. A lot of things that DGer's grow I have to grow as an annual, but there are also a lot of things that just wouldn't make it here. I like to grow a lot of salvias & penstemon, with delphiniums, echinacea, rudbeckia & lilies. Tried agastache last year & I am waiting to see if it makes an appearance this year. I have my doubts. I try a few new plants every year. Trying castor bean & hibiscus acetosella this year, don't know how much success I will have. I grow a lot in pots too.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Gwendalou,
How long is their bloom cycle? I had seen the "tibetian tree peony" too, so prob was in Raintree as well. Thinking about getting 1-2 of them. How big/big around is it? I thought it got less wide and taller than the reg tree peonies. Thanks, Suzi :)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Mine is not in full sun so the blooms lasted longer than I expected. Probably 3 weeks.

It is very wide. It has sort of 'sections' to it and they go off to the sides, with another section going straight up. So it's probably wider than it is tall. I'm guessing it's about 5 and a half tall and maybe 7 wide at this point. It takes up a substantial amount of room but is crowded in on all sides by plants that were put in too close. It's up against a porch on the back side. I'm going to clear around it some to give it some room for next year and see how it does.

All the side plants (and there is also a huge rugosa rose smack up in front of it, which I'll remove at the end of this growing season) may help to hold it up, I don't know. The blossoms are not overly large for the size, like they are on other peonies. Also, it is a really large plant and so had a number of blossoms but is not just covered in blossoms like my mom's peony is, more blossoms than greenery. My guess is the lack of sun contributes to that.

So you might want to start with one and see how it goes.

I wish they came in other colors! I would get another to put in a more sunny spot.

Gwen

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Gwen,

Did you happen to save any seeds from it? It supposedly is easy to propagate from seed. If you happen to get extra seeds, could I please pay postage or arrange a trade with you?!

Originally, I wanted to replace the arborvite in the front (both sides of porch) w/something special and thought these might be just the thing. Have a 6'x8' area now taken by each arborvite. I know it gets about 9' high, which would nicely fit that spot as well, not sure how wide it will end up though. Let's face it, these look MUCH better than an arborvite!

Then, I thought maybe would just put one in the back yard instead... not sure yet. Do you know how wide it will end up. My front yard gets full sun and I think it would look excellent out there. I don't really care for the Arborvite that are there and would like to remove them, but not till have something appropriate for the space.

Thanks for all your help in thinking this through! ~ Suzi :)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I didn't know that about the seeds. I just cut off the dead flower this afternoon. Most of them are on the ground. Tell me what to do to get seeds and I will get some for you. I would love to get more into all that anyway.

What's arborvite? I have these two ugly cedar things by the walkway from the garage to the back door, which is used as a front door. They must go. I haven't decided what to put in instead, so there they sit, reminding me how ugly they are on a continuing basis.

I think two of these peonies would look nice in the area you describe. Tell me how to get those seeds and I will do it!

Gwen

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Gwen, I so wish I could, but I don't know what to tell you. I looked soooo many places for more info, but didn't see what I wanted. Take it you did not see any seedpod...

Here is a little that I do know about Tibetan tree peony: http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/education/paeonia2.php

This site has a ton of info, but not so sure anything relevant to collecting Tibetan tree peony seeds: http://www.uaf.edu/salrm/gbg/botanicallinks/propagation.html nothing in particular about these, of course!

Arborvitae is the name the realtor called these ugly tall conical shrubs. Prob look an awful lot like your "two ugly cedar things" I pulled up Google and found the image that looked like mine under it (then and tonight) but too tired now to figure out how to put it here.

Maybe someone else can help. I am so exhausted and have to get up early! Was falling asleep here trying to search websites... Good night and maybe will have good news waiting for us in AM, Suzi :)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I went out there after I read your post and noticed that each flower has 4 very hard seed pods on it. I don't know how long it takes the seeds to be ready or what. I haven't broken into any yet, was waiting to hear if you knew what to do. So, since I have several, I think what I'll do is experiment with them and see if I can figure it out. In the meantime, if you come across anything on what to do with them, be sure and let me know.

Gwen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.