New here and wanted to re-visit a past AV disaster for help

N. Mississippi, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, I am new to this site and have already met some wonderful people. I am writing in this thread because about a year ago (before joining DG), I bought some rather expensive named cultivars in leaf form for rooting. I read about it, thought I had everything I needed to be successful and am honestly not a plant "dummie". I lost every leaf and didnt get one to root so now I am very gunshy of spending money on leaves even though I love the challenge of propagation. Does anyone know of a good resource that would help my chances of success if I am lucky enough to come across such great leaves again without going broke? I would love to try my hand at AV again but that experience just really frustrated me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Check out Rob's culture information at http://www.robsviolet.com/

Go to the culture corner, then click on "lessons." My success rate has improved since finding this site!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

And now that spring is here, I know there's been talk of leaf trading. Most of my named varieties are still plantlets themselves, but rather than spend a lot of money on leaves, you could probably get some from DG members! I'd be willing to if you're interested. :o)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

slgrower,
Welcome to Dg's and don't feel so bad about your mishap with starting AV's from leaves...I did the same thing last year and had very similar results . I DO know what happen with mine though...a litter of Chi puppies decided to play in the trays ...lol .
I'm starting over with some new ones too, so we can share in the adventure of growing AV's...lol

Dana that's a great idea about trading leaves. I just bought a few new AV's and other gessie's and will post some pics later on a seperate thread.
My Episcia's I got last year are doing pretty good and one is even putting on blooms!!! I didn't kill it over winter.:)

I'll check and see what I leaves I can put up to trade.

MsC

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it will be fun to trade! I've never done it before, so I'm looking forward to it. And it will be nice to get a better variety. I have a couple of plants getting ready to bloom, too-- they must want to "show off" for their pictures! I'll be watching for your thread, MsC. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.