Hey Roadrunner, your forum is back

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This one makes a lot more sense than gourds and melons. Hopefullly the decorator and craft people will generate enough traffic to keep it going this time.

Crossville, TN

Well Farmerdill...I hope you can help us out in that direction this time!!

I don't know but what the name Ornamental Gourds are not misleading though....we mostly think of Ornamental Gourds as the very small ones....and gourds are not just Ornamental...some have very good uses in every day life...we make dippers from some...and birhouses from others, not to mention musical instruments and drums....my DD makes the Native American drums and Shakerees...and they are played!! Our Church Choir uses them sometimes...I played my shakeree at the KY RU......so...

I'm just glad to have it back...and as they say...A rose by any other name is still a rose. And a GOURD is just a Gourd...so why not the name Gourd Forum???

Thank you Terry and Dave!!

Jo

This message was edited Apr 29, 2005 8:55 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am really not into gourds. Use to grow the small "hen nest" gourds back on the farm as well as "dipper" gourds. Once in a while I will grow some "bird house".Grew "bushel" gourds once just for the novelty. Never took the time to learn different cultivars tho. I treat them the same way I do flowers if they look pretty or useful I grow a few just to brighten things up but don't pay much attention otherwise. I am paying some attention to the edible gourds, however, but it too early to tell whether they will be added to my crop list.

Crossville, TN

Farmerdill...why not grow some just for ornamental value...and have something to do in the winter months...my son in law does some beautiful gourd carvings...and you can certainly sell any kinds of gourds at the Farmer's Markets....you don't even need to put time and energy into cleaning them.

I look forward to seeing you on the new forum. Jo

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm growing Lilly Miller Birdhouse Gourds. looking for the right fence or trellis to grow them on.

Viv

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yey ~ the forum is back !!!! I should make this my homepage as a daily reminder ~ lol :)

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Ok Jo
Yea glad to see the gourd forum open just in time too.
I have Swan, birdhouse, Louffa, Dipper , Basket, bottled, and Kettle gourd seeds soaking. Did some reading of the post and the websites that everyone has posted and decided to put my in 6 inch pots to start and then transplant them in the grow when they get big enough. Hope it is not too late to get them growing. Have to try. My house is ended up being a greenhouse with all the seeds I have started.

Sami

Crossville, TN

Sami...be sure and read up on how to be sure you have TRUE seeds from your crop next year....by hand pollinating them and tying something around the pollinated bloom. I hope to see how they did in about October....Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.