CLOSED: Pretty baby bird

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This baby bird was spotted and photographed by my husband on 4/21/05 in Summerville, SC. It calmly rested in a small tree at eye level while we marveled at its presence. Five pictures were taken before it flew with ease to a safer location. We have no idea what it is. Can anyone identify this baby from the 3 pictures provided?

Thumbnail by patp
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

...another shot.

Thumbnail by patp
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wish we'd seen the baby's back.

Thumbnail by patp
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a pretty little bird and wonderful to pose so for you. Someone will come along and ID it for you

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Your bird looks to me like the Solitary Vireo Vireo solitarius, but it is not a baby, it is a full adult. It seems that they only winter in your area, so it may well be on its way north to spend the summer breeding in Canada.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Floridian, you were so very kind to respond to my query.

kennedyh - Wow, when I expressed surprise that an Aussie would ID this bird, my husband said you were probably an Ornithologist (as well as a Uber Gardener). And, after reading your comment, my husband picked up the bird identification book and it opened directly to the Solitary Vireo page. Years ago, I received as a gift the CD-ROM 'North American Birds - Peterson Multimedia Guides,' and tried to ID the bird before submitting it to this forum using the CD and our printed ID book to no avail, but now that you've identified it for me, I can see the resemblance! Thank you so very much, kh.

P.S. Our family was stationed at Northwest Cape (Exmouth, WA) with the U.S. Navy in 1967 - 1969, and our youngest daughter is a Dinkum Aussie. We truly miss your wonderful country and people.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful bird! I live in Summerville as well, and I have never seen one of these. Spectacular!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.