hardiest crape myrtle

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am trying to talk my boss, at a large cemetery, into planting some summer-blooming small tree such as crape myrtle, Rose of Sharon, or butterfly bush. I am leaning the most toward the crape myrtle. Can anyone tell me the hardiest varities available? I need to sell him on this.....

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

If you are truly in zone 7 you should be able to grow many of them, especially the hybrids from the National Arboretum. You also have some other options, like Koelreuteria, Kalopanax, Vitex, etc.

Guy S.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Actually, our weather seems to be more in zone 6 than 7. Can you suggest some for that zone?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

They should still work there shouldn't they Guy? If so, I recommend the "Indian Tribes" varieties because they are more mildew resistant and have larger leaves, 'Acoma', 'Tuscarora', 'Seminole', 'Natchez', 'Cherokee', 'Catawba', 'Comanche', 'Hopi', 'Muskogee', 'Osage', 'Sioux', 'Yuma', 'Zuni'....there's probably more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

This is a perfect question for your local U. C. Extension Agent. He/she will be able to tell you off the top of their head.

For a cemetary, you may find that Rose of Sharon is too messy, dropping flowers, and is very prone to aphids.

k

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.