Wild Cherry, Sweet Cherry, Mazzard Cherry (Prunus avium)

Blenheim, New Zealand

Very pretty,with the stamens and black bark.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Michelle, that is some different cherry, I believe. I will try to get a picture of the wild cherry...it is blooming all over my woods right now, but the flowers are very high up in the trees. The tiny flowers are on 4-5 inch long dangling racemes.
Susan

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

You did take a nice picture, though! Yours is much more attractive than the wild ones...I wish P. serotina was that pretty, since I have loads of them. I am trying to eradicate many of them right now.
I tried to furnish some hyperlinks for you, but they did not work. You can do a google image search and find pictures of the flower there.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2005 5:54 AM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Some one, I think it was either Ken or Todd, told me that it was sweet cherry, Prunus avium. I thought I asked them to move the pic but I guess not. I had in a bunch and it all got confusing.

I thought it was very pretty too, thank you. I think they're just as pretty as the ornamentals but with sweet fruit. The birds went crazy over them last year! I hope I can swipe just a few this year.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, the birds here love fruit, too. I used to grow strawberries until a robin decided to peck each and every one and ruin it.
We are really overrun with squirrels this year.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I would love to see the squirrels. I think we miss out there,

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh please, shall I send you some? You may not find them all that cute when they rip your plants apart, dig up every potted plant they can reach and just nibble stems and flowers for the fun of it.
But - that is another thread in the garden foe forum. ( sorry, that just asked for it....)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Prunus serotina...taken in my fencerow today...

Thumbnail by melody
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That looks like it! I like the long clustered cherries. I have a chokeberry that I love seeing in flower... Which reminds me, I wonder why it's not flowering yet? They have the same kind of pretty greenish white flowers but they don't smell all that great.

Blenheim, New Zealand

No thanks RUK!!! they look lovely from this side or the world. LOL

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh. Spluh! I forgot to thank you Susan.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

My thanks to Melody for supplying the picture...it is very good. My trees are very tall and it would be difficult to photograph the blooms which are at the top.
Bootandall, I too would be glad to send you squirrels!!
Most of the hillbillies around here kill them to eat...we don't. But I am beginning to see the wisdom of it, LOL.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The link is now fixed with the proper Prunus in the correct places...I found it last night and reported it too. This image is where it needs to be now...just this thread is still hanging, and it will fade away with time.

Blenheim, New Zealand

We have possum Here ,,, and also possum pie , possums made into clothing.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It'd be difficult for me to eat or wear anything that cute! We don't have possoms but we do have opossums. There's always a few at the wildlife rehab center.

Blenheim, New Zealand

that is the way we think of Squirrels here, cute !! Possoms or opossums , are imports from Australia, and destroy the native flora , just to many of them. I think it is good to use them in clothing, there fur is very warm.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean, even though I don't like it, even I admit some of the deer here have to go.

Were the possoms brought over for the fur trade?

Blenheim, New Zealand

That's exactly what happened. http://www.nzpossumproducts.co.nz/industry/whybuypossum.htm

just in case you want to know wore

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

New Zealand's wild life is comprised of small animals, isn't it?

I wonder if the people who introduced them knew about what it was like now, would they do it again? Probably.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Are these or are related to bush babies?

Blenheim, New Zealand

small things it is, no predator for the possums, deer, pigs, or goats, except man. how awful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.