CLOSED: Need help identifying this butterfly/moth

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

What is this butterfly/moth?
This is one of several varieties of very small butterflies/moths that live in my yard. Note, this is not the "blue" I was trying to identify in a different post. I was following one of these very small butterfly/moths when it went into a section of unmowed grass. I often see them go into the grass to rest. At any rate, I snuck up on this one and took this picture. Keep in mind this is a very small insect in deep grass. You can see by the width of the blade of grass how small this creature is. Any help toward my identifying this butterfly/moth would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Looks like it could be a Carolina Satyr. Did you notice spots that look like eyes on the wings, when the wings were closed?

Hi, I did not see it with it's wings closed at all. I have four shots of it. The one displayed is the best, but all have it with it's wings open. The name Caroliona Satyr is a good place for me to start. Prior to your posting I had no idea of where to begin.
Thanks!
Art

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

The body position of the critter says more "moth" to me. Usually butterflies like to rest with their wings closed or "fluttering". It could also be in the "skipper" category though as well. A popular "skipper" in our area is the little black witch (not the black witch - which is a large moth). Unfortunately I'm not good with the identification of either little brown moths or of "skippers."

Here's a picture of a skipper if it helps... I think this one is a color variation of a little black witch (I also have one that is much darker).

Thumbnail by Night_Bloom
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

And here's a good picture of a brown colored moth - I have no idea what kind. I just thought that it was pretty, so I took its picture.

Thumbnail by Night_Bloom
N. Mississippi, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, new here and love insects and know a bit about em. I agree. I think it is a moth from the photo but not sure which one. If you can blow up the photo and tell us if the antennae are feathery or straight that would help us. Moths have feathery antennae, butterflies and skippers have straight antennae or straight with a bit of a bulb at the end. Sorry I cannot identify it outright but I am pretty sure from that photo you would do best concentrating your efforts in searching the net for moths that live in your area.

Thanks for the help. I can't blow it up any more or it looses definition. You all have given me good suggestions. It doesn't have "eyes" on the wing, so the Carolina Satyr is eliminated. It seems from exploring the net so far, there is not much for "small" moths so I waste a lot of time looking at everything. I began my searching at 4:30 am today and finished just about 9 am. I found several in the "Skipper" family that closely resemble my butterfly/moth. Many "Skippers" are about the same size, have the same colors, general body size, shape, and large eyes. A few have tails, but these are much longer than the tail displayed in my shot. Because of the resemblance of mine to many of the "Skippers" I am inclined to think it's a butterfly rather than moth. Until I get a better photo and can make a positive ID, I will just call it a "mini" Skipper.
I am borrowing a digital camera over the weekend. I may get lucky and see more of these guys. Also, I have a roll of film that needs just a shot or two to be finished. On this roll I have at least four shots of my small Cassia Blue that I talked about in a different post. Over the weekend I should be able to get a few shots of the Cassia using the digital. I have enough of these Cassia Blues to call it a colony. I will upload any good shots I get. The Blue Cassia is about the same size, but much more colorful with a lot of details on the wing.
By the way, this is the second small butterfly I have had a chance to photograph. There are at least two more varieties I have not been able to get close enough to get off a shot. As more and more of my yard flowers bloom I should be able to get more pictures.
Thanks again for your interest and your help!
Art

This message was edited Apr 30, 2005 9:25 AM

Well, finished and had the film developed. Big disapointment! The middle section of the roll was very light and unusable. However I did get a shot of the Cassia blue on film.
It's not the best shot, but you can get a good idea of what it looks like. This shot is under a Coral bush (15' tall) in the shade. The Cassia blue female is laying eggs on a Plumbago.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

On the same roll as above, my last shot, which I had been saving for almost a week turns out to be another mystery butterfly. I don't expect anyone to be able to identify it from this shot, but at least I got a shot of it. It's about twice the size of the first butterfly in the sequence, about an inch across it's wingspan. This is a backlit shot without a flash so the body color is difficult to see, however it's a very dark solid brown. The wing ends are light tan to gold. The body is very unusual. It's a bright, almost translucent orange. It's body looks more like a mystery bug rather than a mystery butterfly or moth. Who knows, perhaps it is a bug. I am not sure if it was resting or feeding on the bleeding heart
vine.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.