Butterfly Bush

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the day's dumb question. Do Butterfly Bushes attract bees/wasps as well as butterflies. I want something to plant around a deck that is about 4-5 feet off the ground but don't want anything that attracts bees during the summer.

thanks!!!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

No dumb questions! The short answer is yes. Gotta tell you bees are good:) from a gardener's point of view. Of course, if someone is allergic that is a whole different problem.

-Kim

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I know bees are good, however, around a deck is not the place I would like to have them especially if we are cooking out.

Thanks for the help.

Connie

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

I had 2 directly off my deck for 2 years and didn't have a problem w/bees. We did end up moving them last year simply because they got so big.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

At my house, the bees are so busy with the plants that I can climb right into the bed and they never even notice me. Don't know about wasps, though. They always seem meaner to me.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

If you've got flowers in or around your yard, you're gonna have 'fly bys' at least. The only bumble bee that ever bothered me was one I accidentally hit with the weed whacker which flung him against my bare shin and as soon as he made contact, tagged me! Yeah, that burned a bit.

Larkspur have had the greatest attraction bees. They look like little lava lamps as they just go uuuuuppp and downnnnnn those stalks, hitting every little flower. I can't say I've noticed them on the butterflys (eight around the yard at last count).

Personally - it think it's because the bees like to or have to crawl right into the flower to get to the nectar. They don't have that long sippin' tube. Whereas the Butterfly or Hummingbird can sit there and probe the depths of those tiny flowers on a butterfly bush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.