A new thunbergia, Thunbergia alata ‘Raspberry Smoothie’

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It is slightly more lavender than it looks like in the picture. And the throat is dark purple. I love it. The leaves are beautiful, with fine hair all over them. There is another new one called Apricot Smoothie that I am going to go on the hunt for Wednesday.

Thumbnail by Kell
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oooooooooooooh boy some more for me to try and hunt down (should see it in about 10 years ;) .......... Gorgeous Kell! Ü

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. I've got to find these also.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I like that!!!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Very pretty Kell. I love all the thunbergias.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Wow, that's nice.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH Kell it's beautiful, you have to spill the beans where did you get this at, did you buy seeds or plants?

kathy

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think it's time for some of us to raid Kell's garden!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

count me in on the raid

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell, did you find it in our area ?

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

I just picked this one up from a nursery here. It is soooooooo pretty. I do have the Apricot Smoothie ... received it thru mailorder. It is suppose to be gorgeous!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Love the new color!

Now you've got me hunting for them!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Deb, where did you find it in mailorder?

I never knew they came in this color. Gee thanks Kell for getting us all excited and on the Hunt for Another addition for our gardens.
:-)

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

I ordered from Vintage Hill. They are not in the Garden Watchdog yet ... I need to go do that!! I was real pleased with my order. Shipped nice plants. I ordered coleus, ears, datura and the thunbergia. I believe he has both Raspberry & Apricot listed. You can either call or email Jeff for pricing. He was a really nice guy. He even has brugmansia's there.

http://www.vintagehill.com/greenhouse/

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I couldn't believe it! I found the Raspberry and the Apricot Smoothies today!! Yahoooooooo!!!!! I picked up a few and some of them have buds on them already. They are small but that's okay. I did notice that some of the vines looked like they had been cut. I wonder if they did that because they are easy to root.
:) Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I have this one and it's gorgeous!!! Here is a pic I just took today to share with a friend. I got mine in a 4 inch pot, it was about 6 inches tall and blooming for 2 bucks.
~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
(Zone 7a)

Shirley1md, I bought one Sunday at Behnke's in Laurel for $4.20. Don't know if it's still in stock. Never heard of it, before, but it looks like a treasure.

I really enjoyed our conversation - hope you're having the best spring, ever.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

laurrie - where did you get the smootie at? belinda

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Belinda, I picked it up at Strasburg/BeachCity area at Crawford's Greenhouse - Sue Ann has alot of neat things there!!
If you want directions let me know!!
~Laurrie

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I sure would like directions, Laurrie but by the time I got there they would all be gone.

I am getting so jelaous. I have been to every store within an hour of my house and no luck. I really want to see the apricot smoothie. Anyone have that one with a flower?

The one I have was in a 6 inch pot. It is really growing. My blooms have really turned raspberry in color.

Thumbnail by Kell
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! Here's a picture of mine. It's survived being in the greenhouse with the temperatures going down to - 4 to -8 celcius for the past 4 or 5 days. I did get the Apricot one but it hasn't bloomed yet.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

This sure is beautiful.

I'm going to watch for the new one's at a local nursery that usually has several types of Thunbergia. Thanks everyone for sharing your pictures, and the "heads up" on the new varieties.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Donna, yours is so cute. It looks like most people have the raspberry one.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

You guys are so lucky to have good nurseries near you. I don't know of as interesting nursery closer to me than about 5 hours, so I only get there once a year. There used to be a couple within driving easlily distance, but both are out of business now. The other are okay for the more common plants . Have never even seen a brug in a nursery in this area. Just jealous. DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.