Best conditions for Rhubarb

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know if its better to grow rhubarb in partial shade or full sun.

I live in Santa Cruz, mid CA, and my rhubarb is currrenlty in a full sun position and it bears spring to early summer, ut then dries up.....

Any ideas, as i am used to rhubarb going from spring to fall in the UK, where i last grew it.

Diane

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm not sure, but I think the shade may have something to do with how long into the season you can harvest it.

My rhubarb is growing in full sun, and it bolts early and after that it gets tough, stringy and dry.

My MIL has hers growing in mostly shade, and it stays good much longer than mine, however, by early July hers is going bad also.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Rhubarb is at it's best in the spring and early summer and will get 'pithy' when the weather gets hot. I put lots of compost around my patch and then a heavy mulch over this. This allows you to pick a little later in the season but quality will still suffer as the summer wears on. Hope this helps.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much maybe now i can have longer lasting rhubarb :)

Diane

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention, when those tall seedheads start to grow, cut them off (unless you intend to save seeds), it will prolong your harvest somewhat.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

The only experience I had with rhubarb was watching my mother in law screech while I yanked it out. I had no clue what it was. lol we had moved to Missouri in 86 and the house we bought shortly after that had this weird red stuff on the side of the porch. She managed to save half of it, and the following year we had lots. Or SHE had lots. nobody in my family liked it besides my husband. Mom made strawberry rhubarb pie out of it. I'm so bad. I guess I should ask questions beFORE I chop.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

judy....yu a baaad gurl!!! Hahahaaaa....LOL..... M-I-L screeching as yu yanked out HER rhubarb!!! ...LOL!!!!!

Loved it!
LD

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Maybe a little afternoon shade?

The plot next to mine at the community garden has rhubarb in pretty much full morning sun; but, gets some afternoon shade.

It seems to do well each year and bears well into the summer. So well, I was thinking of adding some to my plot.

Afternoon sun here can be pretty wilting.

Erik

Louisville, KY

This is the Rhubarb Compendium which provides almost anything you want to know about Rhubarb. Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

cool info, thanks Gary!

Montville, NJ

I wanted to know the best way to plant starts- I just acquired 22 new crimson plants and I would like to stick them correctly in my garden. Like how deep-fertilizer-Sand- peat moss- or what /Thanks

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

If its not on the link above, I can just tell you what I did. Mine were roots, but had already put out the first stalk. So I buried the root tuber in well composted soil about four inches, and watered well, letting it dry out breifly between waterings. They established quickly and have formed several stalks with leaves. I also mulched over and around the base, sawdust on two, grass clippings on two (different beds). Hope this helps!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.