First Louisiana Iris

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is the only Louisiana iris I have and the first time it has bloomed. I may have to get some other varieties, too. :-) (This is Professor Jim.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Kelli, I've been thinking about buying some Louisiana's this season. Can you tell me how big the flowers are and what the foliage looks like when they aren't blooming? They talk a lot about Siberians looking great - but not in zone 9. Thanks!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

kelli, that's pretty. i have ensata picotee wonder, ensata innocence and several unname ones. i just love them. doss listed several great website earlier. belinda

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Doss, I could have sent you a picture! They are beauties, they, to me, resemble an orchid.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks weegy, can you post a photo? I'm sure that Kelli wouldn't mind.

The flowers, at least on Professor Jim, are about 5 inches across. The foliage is light yellowish green and stays green all year - nothing exciting. As you can see, mine is growing in the pond and I leave it there all year.

Go ahead and post a photo, weegy.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

5 " is very satisfying. Guess I'm out there looking at the websites again. :-)

I got "Professor Jim" by trading with someone here at DG, though I don't remember anymore who it was.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

this is a Louisiana iris a side of a Siberian iris at show .
In pond or good soil they can be from 34" to 42 "

This message was edited Apr 25, 2005 9:06 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much Tazzy. I've got a handle on it now. I can't wait.

This is La. in small fiber glass pond you can see how tall they are
the roots are level
with top of pond there in pots
and those are BB and IB on ground below .

Thumbnail by tazzy
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's fun foliage too.. And you have great rocks. I love rocks. I've just sweated for 6 months to get someone to put a couple in for me. What are the gold and mahogany Iris?

Some them rocks came from Barstow desert in CA..car broke down
had to take bus home only two bags or so many pounds allowed ,left
clothes . whey they but my bag on bus the driver said what you
got in them bags rocks ? i looked him in eye and said yup

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LOLOLOL
The rocks were worth it. I don't know how you hauled them. Somehow, rocks can be the best plant in the garden.

I have pick up rocks every where i go and i started as a kid
picking pretty ones out of sand and saving them .
some things only size and weight of collecting change .Lol

Eugene, OR

Kelli, that is a beautiful iris! The LI's are definitely on my buy list too. Because of a drainage problem that resulted from a spring higher up the hill I ended up with a pond that I wasn't crazy about, but now I can see it will be a real asset to the front yard.
I think sundry, also, had a stunning picture of Professor Jim on a different thread from about a week or so ago.
tazzy, that is a beautiful little iris grove. Is it in the shade most of the day?
Chad

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I love all your pictures. I have just started to get some L.Iris this year,,I don't know where I have been till now..I never noticed them..But now I'm hooked..I also love the rocks..I'm in Fl..we don't have rocks here..So every where I go I look for rocks and also tell anyone coming to visit that rocks are the price for the room.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just wanted you all to know that you've inspired me. Today I called Iris City Gardens and placed an order for some Louisianas. Not an easy decision by any means. Thanks one and all.

I don't have rocks here naturally either. They've all been hauled in. But they've been worth it.

Crossville, TN

Kelli....what a pretty picture...I love it. Jo

Note to doss: foliage turns yellow after blooming.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kelli, that helps me with my planning for the fall. I guess unless a person likes yellow foliage. :-)

mine stay green all but late Jan early Feb. in Okla.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe too hot in LA? I should find out. I definitely will when I the new LA's come up next year. I've only bought a few so if they don't work, I know that they will find a happy home - they are good cultivars. I only bought a few Arilbreds for the same reason. Not for the same spot, of course, SDB's, and PCI's. I've been badly affected by DG. But I'll be happy when I can experiment with them all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.