Need grape info

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Are these the grapes or flowers of the grapes,,they look to be in bunches.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

shot of vine growth

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

bettter pic

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I asked my DH and he says he has never seen grapes like those. Too many little clusters, tight together. Could it be eldeberry? We have raspberries and blackberries, have that type of leaf.

Dunno, sorry, hope an expert comes along.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i dont think those are grapes either. my grape wine doesnt look like that in leaves or trunk.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well the tag said red grapes,red flame,birds ate what little was on last year before they had a chance to get much size or change from green to red.
Leaf looks like whats on the tag.
Thanks,time will tale the story on this vine.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

The leaves and the little clusters look like those of my flame grapevine. If the twigs are young, they haven't had time to develop the shaggy peeling bark yet. This year, you might think of protecting the grapevine against birds.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Keep those dang birds off it, until you see what you have. We have to put netting over cherry tree, grapes and strawberries, or we'd never get any.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My grapes look tight like that.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have some of that bird netting,I think I'll put on tomorrow,its not to early yet for that is it?The vines seem to be growing over a inch a day,really fast,looks the same to me too!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Tropicman-
Mine look like yours, and the clusters are teeny tiny flowers right now...I'd suggest you let the pollinators work over your grapes before you cover them, or they won't set fruit.
Cover it once the flowers are pollinated, and the fruits are fully formed, but still small and immature...
-T

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Seedpicker,I already covered them with the birdnetting,bees can still get to the flowers ok,if your using the birdnetting and wear a expandable wrist band watch take it off before applying
the birdnetting,got all twisted up so bad thought it was going to break the band!!!

I have several different types of grapes, but I think the prettiest is the red flame seedless.
Don't you just love the colors of the brand new leaves?? The fushia edging around the leaves is gorgeous...wish they stayed that way!
This picture was taken on 3/25 this year...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

So glad to see a thread about grapes. hehe

Those sure do look like grape clusters to me, they look like my dads vines.
Can someone tell me what is a good fertilizer to use on grape vines?

Donna

Donna-
I just use compost. This particular compost I buy is called rich earth, and is comprised of 50% sheep manure, and 50% composted materials.
Some of mine are growing just fine, with no fertilizer, or compost, at all...
Interested to see what everyone else is using...
-T

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Using homemade compost ,doing just fine also,plus some pine needles for a little extra acid,yep those were pretty leaves,this is a very vigorous vine,according to what I found out it was only to be hardy to zone 8,but having mild winters it has come back here once again.

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Tropicman
I have flame grapes and they look just like yours. The bloom you see are grape clusters in the making. George

My little "babies" are starting to REALLY look like little bunches of grapes, now...
How about you?
They are so cute!!! I can't wait to EAT them! lol...
-T

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mine are still looking the same,but the vine has double in size,I think everything is going in to growing leaves instead of making into grapes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.