Clematis Polish Spirit

Mesilla Park, NM

Got some dark colors here.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Lucky you..I have a Polish Spirit that I have just cut back..zone 5 here..
lots of rain.
here is a pic from last year..

Thumbnail by Starzz
Mesilla Park, NM

The first year got two blooms, someday hopefully mine will look like yours, how old is your plant? This one is a 2 year old plant and a has a few more buds, I wonder if it will bloom again later on, because this one bloomed in July last year.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I think this is the fourth year for it..
There is an old saying about Clematis.

First year they sleep
Second year they creep
Third year they leap.

Good luck with yours..

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Great pictures! Plus, I'm seeing a lot of buds that are going to burst open and flower very soon!

Keep fertilizing each month (Clematis are hungry feeders) and hopefully it will give you a second display of blooms!

Nice pictures of your clematises starzz and gourd. I have a Polish Spirit too, that is a very good bloomer. I have it planted with another clematis, a Comtesse du Bouchad. This will be their third growing season. I'm glad you mentioned the fertilizing Shirley, I'll have to remember to fertiize more often this year, I rarely remember. Here's mine from last year.

Edited for inattention to detail.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2005 5:05 PM

Thumbnail by
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Ceedub..what a fabulous combo..!
You are giving me ideas...LOL
Polish spirit is so dark on its own..but the pink just makes it all a stunning show..
well done!

I never fertilize clematis either..I must try to keep up this season..

Cheers,
Carol

Thanks Carol. It was this novice gardener's fluke that it worked. I've seen people walking by the house stop and gape at it...a very nice feeling. I've rewarded it this year by giving it a bigger trellis, now if it would only start growing....

Christine

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes..we are all waiting with anticipation here in Ontario for our plants to give us a show..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.