Soldanella

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This is soldanella pindicola - a bit vigorous for a rock garden but in the right semi shaded setting, nice evergreen leaves and very cute frilly flowers.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I love this picture, Galanthophile. I think Soldanella and Cortusa are the two new plants I appreciate most in my short tenure as an alpine gardener. I had never heard of them until I started collecting alpines. They have the most exquisite flowers and I love the foliage of both. I now have four different varieties of Soldanella and I will be looking for more.

Which varieties of soldanella do you have? I've seen a lovely white one at a show recently.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I've tried Soldanella soooo many times and they always kick the bucket during the winter. I have just one now, S. carpatica X montana. So far, it looks good. Hopefully there will be flowers next month.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I have Soldanella montana, hungarica ssp. major, carpatica, and alpina. I'm keeping them in pots, separate from the other plants, because they're supposed to resent winter wet, and our Northern California winters are quite rainy.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hmm- looking at the empty spot next to my soldanella tag it's a bit reassuring to know that Todd can't seem to overwinter them either..should I give up?? they have to have the most adorable flowers, its a shame. perhaps S.carpatica x montana is the one for me too...

I think this is a form of alpina - I saw this plant at the Alpine Garden Society Show.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a beauty! I don't have any white ones. One thing I really appreciate is that they don't appear to appeal to slugs and snails. The leaves always look perfect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.