These were NOT this color last year!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Do clematis bloom a different color the first season? Could they have been pollinated my something else? This is really strange....I like them better now, but one was white and they other white with a hint of pink.

Thumbnail by Sunshines2day
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Maybe someone accidentally killed them and replanted, so you wouldn't find out. LOL (Like buying another gold fish).
They are gorgeous and it's great they are such full blooms. So many I buy have puny flowers, so I'm already jealous.
Sidney

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Do you know the name? Mine like that(Nelly Moser), bloomed white in the "heat". It is really supposed to be this color. Dr. Rumpel is another one that did the same thing.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The temperature can affect the color...heat bleaches it out, and cold intensifies the color...
Sometimes the true color comes with age, and many times(especially with young rooted cuttings of roses) the first blooms are not necessarily what the mature blooms will look like...
-T

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

When a Clematis is first in your garden the color can be off the first year..even the shape..also, those that are double such as my Proteus can be a single bloom the first year as is with mine.. with doubles you can also have double blooms on mature vines and then in the second blooming period you'll see singles...here is my Proteus which will be double when mature;

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

These are so much prettier than mine. Here is one of my blooms, I am so disappointed they only have 4 petals.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

But I have many blooms.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

The color will also differ in the warm of the sun and coolness in the shade. It may look like two completely different flowers.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks.....
They are both supposed to be "Henryi" and upon further examination, both the blooms are from one plant. This kinda blew my mind, but I am glad to know my memory isn't as bad as I was beginning to think (worry). These are a fascinating plant, and I would like to learn more.

Mother had those and they are great, every year you will have more and more.
Just keep the roots cool. By shade or mulch.
I'm still envious!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sugarweed's theory had me laughing out loud! Loved the goldfish part.

My Nelly did that to me years ago. Half getting sun were so light and the ones nearer the earth were darker. I thought I did some magical thing to cause it: wrong! Shirley has taught me something.

Thanks Jeanne for that tidbit: why don't sellers ever tell us these things?

Sugarweed - hard for me to believe you could be so disappointed in that beautiful bloom. I'd be proud of it: it's different and so lovely!

Sunshines2: How lucky for you! Now you get to buy Henryii, too! This is what keeps us all coming back for more. My Henry has sent up another plant about 2' away: thank you God.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.