Peony Pointers (article from HGTV) ...

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I've certainly learned several sumthins' new about them!!

Also .. there's some interesting tidbits for some of you more 'suthun' located folks .. to give a try to having them !!

- Magpye

... Peony Pointers ...

Note: naturally, the illustration images will be unavailable (here on DG) .. See the link at the bottom *

Master gardener Paul James and peony grower Allan Rogers discuss why peonies are such captivating choices for the landscape.

Peonies are one of the oldest domesticated plants known to man; in fact, written records dating back to 4000 BC tell of their beauty and grace. Today, peonies are just as splendid as ever, and thanks to new and improved varieties, they're even easier to grow.

Since he was a little boy, Allan Rogers has been entranced by the power of the peony. His parents gave him one as a birthday present and that gift has lasted a lifetime.

"I had my first peony when I was 8 years old, which was 75 years ago," says Rogers. From that moment on, he was captivated, and it's easy to see why. The personality of the peony bloom changes as the day progresses, beginning shy and reserved during the cool hours of the morning then later unfolding a world of beauty as the day warms.

There are three popular types. Herbaceous peonies die back to the ground in the winter and are the type most folks are familiar with. The herbaceous peonies bloom early to mid summer in most places.

The second type of peony is the tree peony, which is a woody-stemmed shrub that loses its leaves in the fall. You can expect blooms from these beauties in the spring.

Finally, intersectional peonies are a cross between tree and herbaceous peonies. For years hybridizers were unsuccessful at crossing the two until a Japanese nurseryman finally got it right. The results opened up a plethora of peonies for folks who thought they couldn't grow them.

"I'm a great fan of them because they're more disease resistant and more rigorous," says Rogers. However, there is one caveat to growing peonies. They require a period of dormancy so the plant can store energy to grow and bloom the following year. And in this case, dormancy means cold temperatures. Rogers says that peonies typically do poorly in places like Georgia, southern California and Florida. A peony has to have about 400 hours of cold--not freezing--temperatures, about 40 degrees. Containers and north-side plantings are common tricks for warmer locales. But ensure three months of dormancy for productive plants next year.

After 10 or so years of growth, you may notice smaller flowers and crowded stems. This usually means it's time to make more peony plants. "The right time to divide peonies is in the fall," says Rogers. "By that time they've finished their year's growth and have started to grow dormant."

To simulate the foliage dying back in the fall, we cut the foliage back to the soil line. Rogers then recommends removing all the soil from the roots and giving them a good soaking with the hose. Rogers manipulates the roots to get a good look at where they separate easily, and that's where he makes the first cut.

"Every plant needs a crown, which is this part," says Rogers. "And it puts up the shoots and puts down the roots." Each section should have three to five eyes which are where next year's new growth begins. You want enough eyes to create a lush plant. All the fine rootlets need to be pruned away and with good reason. Pests and diseases aren't a huge problem with peonies--with one exception. There are some root diseases that can severely restrict the growth of peonies. This is one of the reasons it's so important to always cut off the tiny hair roots.

Dig deep and wide when planting peonies. A plant can mature to a width of five feet or so, and the hole should be prepped accordingly. The most important thing about planting peonies is selecting a site. Choose a location with at least a half day of sun. More sun will give you more flowers, and light shade will keep the blooms fresher longer. Once the planting hole is worked to his pleasing, Rogers fertilizes with bone meal. That bone meal will take two to three years to break down, making it a simple, long-term investment.

When you plant, make sure the eyes of the peony are facing up and are planted no more than two inches deep. Cover with soil, tamp the ground firmly and water. As the plant grows, it will most likely need staking. Peony flowers can get to be eight to nine inches in diameter and often need the added support. There are lots of ways to stake them, but Rogers prefers aluminum stakes. You may need more stakes over time to hold up the weight of the blooms.

Peonies can live for decades, getting more and more exquisite with each passing year. Where peonies go, ants will follow, because they love the sweet substance the plant exudes as it blooms. Don't worry, though, the ants won't hurt a thing. Also, if deer are a problem in your neck of the woods, consider planting peonies. The deer will take one bite and move onto something much tastier.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_perennials/article/0,,HGTV_3610_3140254,00.html

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Magpye, Thanks so much for that info and link! I learned a LOT about peonies, since I knew very little before. I had been thinking I was going to divide mine up in the fall. Now, am pretty sure I will. No clue how old they are, but prob at least 10-12 yrs old, if not much more. Thanks ~ Suzi :)

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

magpye, thanks for the info. i didn't know anything about them. will keep this. belinda

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Suzi and Belinda ... I'd hoped that someone else could benefit from the info from these fellers, about the Peonies ... Glad it has!! I like to watch HGTV on the tube, but rarely am able to 'catch' it, in time ... Mitey nice to get the info I often miss, thru their e-bulletins!!

I can definitely attest to how 'far out' the roots will extend from the older/larger plants. At our daughters rental home over in Harrison .. there are several mitey 'thick' Peony bushes along the carport. And naturally, I kindly obliged to hep myself to one of them ... Then, with shovel in hand, went to diggin' .. then had to go quite bit further away, and to dig deeper than I'd expected. Good thing tho' ... for there were 'eye's galore .. on the tubers that extended way, way out beyond the bush that grew up and out of the ground!

What I found most interesting .. was that many of the roots were humongus in size! I was truly amazed ...

I was afraid I was gonna end up getting over on the neighbors property, so had to stop somewhere .. and opted to 'hack' short of encroachment!! I have no doubt that with the many tubers I was forced to leave in the ground - that particular bush will grow again! Maybe a bit further over than originally, but it will sprout again, jes the same .. hee ..

I'd sincerely believe that those bushes have been growing for a very long while. I'd be goin' 'out on a limb' to say .. close to a couple of decades! But, then .. geezers - what do I know, pray tell .. I'm finding out most quickly, that I know far less than diddly about the majority of things I'd have liked to've claimed havin' some profound knowledge about .. (*hee*)

And with the 'bush' I dug - the ground was so awfully compacted!! When I pulled some of the roots and growth up after shoveling them loose; they'd literally fall apart from one another! I swear, I could 'hear' the peonies shout for joy .. of finally being freed from constraint !! Some tubers/roots had only single eyes on them also - but are already growing very well, in their new 'homes' in MY yard now!! Not a single division of the many, that has failed me, thus far ...

I've jes dug these (in NW Arkansas), just a few weeks ago ... I'd wonder, if it'd be safe for you to consider dividing yours, even now ...

Also .. in case I've missed you elsewhere; I want to offer up a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG .. to ya Suzi !!

- Magpye

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Magpye, Thanks for welcoming me. Believe me, I know that I have been blessed by finding this place and all the lovely people that frequent here. Alright, had to dodge the snowflakes and go look. Most are thigh high w/ some buds now, although there are many smaller, knee-high is prob avg. There are 2 distinct groups, w/ about 25 or so stalks in each. I was thinking that meant they planted 2 and they have just grown. Going on our 3rd yr here, the lady before us (Neighbor's Aunt Shirley) planted a few things, the majority were planted by original builder's wife (Neighbor's grandma) before that. Suspect was A. Shirley that planted them. Need to ask Neighbor's other aunt the next time I see her visiting... Can you tell anything by the description if 1-able to move now +/or 2-how old they are? Thanks so much! ~ Suzi :)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That's a good article, Magpye. If you think about it though, 400 hours isn't that much - less than three solid weeks. Our low temps avg 30-34 between Dec and Feb, and it is not uncommon to get into the teens here, so maybe I'm in one of those borderline areas. I didn't get any blooms from my peonies first year with the exception of one tree peony, and most of them didn't get very big. But the second year, they got bigger and several of the herbaceous ones *almost* bloomed. Third year, quite a few blooms, bigger bushier plants, and I have two bushes now with three or four viable buds each that are fat with the color showing as if they'll open soon. I have also planted more singles and early varieties as they're said to be better suited to the south. So, I'm gettin' there, and I learned a long time ago not necessarily to believe everything you read. I will never have the effortless peony performance my brother in Illinois has, but I have found they ARE doable here.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ohhh, my oh my Suzi .. ya jes had to go and mention that word didja - 'Snow' !?! ... Altho' Spring appears to be a 'sure thang' here, and I'm enjoyin' it sooo much - I still feel that we didn't get our ample dose of the beautiful white stuff .. this year!!!

So, your mentioning that you are dodgin' snow flakes - jes makes my ol heart ache for more!!! Blast your ol hide! (*merely luvinly teasin' ya a bit here*) ... Of course, snow .. may not be a very good thing to happen at this stage .. of everything comin' alive and growing so well ... would it ?!? ... hee hee

I possess no peony expertise, in any form .. but I shall certainly hastily retract my prior attempt at influencing you to consider dividing your peonies now .. Especially, if they are indeed buddin' up already !!!!! I'd wait till the fall of the year now also!!

Suzi .. I'm no judge of their ages either! .. lol .. Jes knew with those I'd dug from my daughters rental place, that they jes HAD to be some mitey gosh awful (beautiful) oldies!! They had shoots, up close to knee-high .. but no sign of any buds either. Matter of fact, the leaves weren't unfolding yet either ... But sure nuff had dozens upon dozens of shoots! I agree with you tho' .. yours, have got to have some age on them, and are well due for some dividing ...

Please, please .. be sure to remember, to shoot and post a batch of pics .. of your tons and tons of blooms!! I'll be checkin' for new threads, and most anxious to see them all !!

What a treasure you have Suzi!!

- Magpye

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

SteveFtWorth .. I am certainly tickled pink for you (& red, white, purnurple & yeller - all peony colors that apply .. hee) - that you've gotten the peonies established there!!

Gosh, don't give up on them, fer sure! You've come too far and their survival is mastered, fer sure!

I'll be lookin' for more of your pics. I've seen your Bowl of Beauty pic, on another thread under the Peony forum. I'd jes purchased and planted 4 of these (reduced to 1/2 price) from WalMart this year! The Bowl of Beauty and a white variety (of which the name totally escapes my wee brain right now!) Very anxious to have and see the new'uns flower .. They'll be some of the 'fanciest' peony specimens, that we have here in our holler .. (hee)

- Magpye

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Magpye - First, gotta find the digital camera, which is about size of a credit card, but about 5-7 cr cards thick. Bought it for my older dau's hs grad present. It did not get put back where belongs, so will have to clean off my computer desk to see if I was the culprit, (again).

Was thinking about dividing peonies when I was cleaning up around them on April 6th, when they were only 6-10" high. Unfortunately, I ended up w/ a piece of old woody stalk (3/4" or so) in my rt pointer. Pulled it out, but tendon got infected. Didn't divide. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

I have to be much more careful!! Fell Feb 3 at work, hurt rt hand (on the roof of a barge, but that is another story!) Then, I got poison oak on rt hand and arm when removing back hedges. (Want fence in to keep deer out. Didn't finish yet: work, P Oak and weather got in way.) Now my finger. Antibiotics are helping but it is still 25% bigger than other pointer, which is great considering what it was. Re-ck appt is tomorrow.

I know I am fortunate, but was not including snow in part of the reasons! The peonies yes. Also, have a HUGE Rhodo in back yard. Normal purple kind, but it is at least 12' h/15' w, planted in 40's. Older dau might have pic on her computer of it when bloomed 2 yrs ago. They left me lots of goodies, which I am just beginning to appreciate, like the peonies. Think they are white w/pink edging. ~ Suzi :)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

You say ...

Quoting:
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

I'd've said .. " O-U-C-H " .. at least four times!!!

I know it haint funny ... Gotta be quite painful !! ... What rotten 'luck' I see that you too, are havin' this year .. with the 'oooo-weees' (as these grandyunkins say) ... And ones index finger is one that we count on .. in more ways than one! (pardon the puny pun!)

I tell ya what .. if we had some 'yeller root' (Golden Seal) on hand right now .. I'd sure send ya some! For it is a proven, most dependable, most rapid healer .. of such wounds! Making a tea by boiling jes a small piece of a root in water, then allowing it to cool jes a bit .. and stickin' your oucher in and leavin' it in there a bit, for a good soak .. will do wonders! Will treat the poison oak also - where the rash is further up on your arm; just use a cloth soaked in the yellow root 'broth' (Golden Seal), and appy to your arm ...

Sure hate to hear of your ailin' tho' ... Seems that the ol adage, when it rains, it pours .. is true, haint it ..

Hang in there Suzi .. Things have gotta start lookin' up for you soon.

I may be talkin' out of turn here (it does seem to be my forte' - hee) But, yes ma'am .. overall, you are still very blessed .. with quite a wonderful variety of heirloom plants around your place! Sounds beautiful.

And .. please do .. 'huwwy up' .. and put yer paws on that thar dandy lil 'misplaced' digital !! .. (*heehee*)

- Magpye

This message was edited Apr 25, 2005 7:32 PM

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Magpye.. very useful article.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Magpye,
Hmmm I had to go to the dentist this morning, about 40 min away, so I checked out the WM there. Seems that some onions, 2-Sorbet, 3-Karl Rosenfield and 3-Sarah Bernhardt's all followed me home. I'm blaming DG, and you specifically, thanks!! Wonder what I can blame on you after my dr appt this afternoon, LOL!! ~ Suzi :)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.... L O L .... Suzi !! ....

And of course .. a body jes has to open ones home (and gardens) to such needy !!!

Ahh, heck kiddo ... jes blame, blame, and blame away! ... See; it's this illness we have - and ENJOY immensely!! .. LOL

Jes glad to hear that you found some wonderful goodies!!

Our WalMart in Harrison, had reduced their packaged stuffs to 1/2 price (Peonies, lillies, and the like) .. and I did get several lil goodies (thank the good Lord!) .. but I never expected them to sell completely OUT - afore I could get back in'ar .. for the umpteenth time tho' !!
.. hee ..

Ya ol lucky heifer you !! .. (*merely luvinly teasin' ya Suzi!!*)

- Magpye

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm I will have to keep looking and have some more jump into my cart when they go on clearance. Won't be for awhile though, not up here... Suzi :)

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
"That bone meal will take two to three years to break down..."

Really? I have always heard to use bone meal when planting bulbs. Last year I purchased some bulbs (including some peonies) so I picked up a bag of bone meal. I searched around and I see a lot of people recommending to NOT use bone meal. Oh well...I used it anyway. The Daffodils sure did great and the peonies are doing okay (they were pretty small).

- Brent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.