Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

We are about 1/2 way done.

Rick

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Great!
What a beautiful view!
Is there a lot for sale next door ?
My geography of Alaska isn't great, is that a lake or part of the ocean or ?
You will enjoy that greenhouse I am sure.
Bernie

MIddletown, OH(Zone 6a)

A wonderful view to garden from. Amazing. Congratulations on your new greenhouse. Enjoy.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

That is protected salt water called Gastineau Channel. It is the entrance to Juneau harbor. Most days it is glassy smooth. There are days however that it turns very nasty.

No lots for sale that I know of. Right out from from my house one can get crab, salmon and shrimp.

I have a house full of small tomatoes just waiting to move into their new home.

Rick

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

catydale: How is your son's arm? All OK by now?

MIddletown, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for asking. Spoke with him yesterday and the pins are still in. They changed the cast and put another one on but when he fell his other arm was hurting a little too. They did an mri a few days ago because it may be broken also, hopefully a hairline crack. He will find out when he sees his doctor this week. I would rather it be me.

I think we got some of your Alaska weather here in Ohio this morning. A litte snow on the ground. I would gladly send it back north if I could. Someone south please send some of that warm southern air north, please. LOL

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Rick, absolutely beautiful!!! I hate cold weather but your picture makes me want to move to Alaska too. How are you going to use your GH? What are you going to heat it with?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I will mostly fill it with tomatoes. I already have so many tomatoes that I want to try to grow that I just know I never will be able to because of space and time.

Here is my tomato list for this year.

Planting list as of March 21th :

NAME OF TOMATO DAYS # to plant
Anna Russian 70 4
Earl of Edgecome 73 4
Flamme 70 4
Galina's Yellow 59 4
Marmande 67 4
Opal’s Homestead
Sungold 65 4
Super Marmande 72 4

NAME DAYS # to plant
Grushovka 67 4
Odessa 58 4
Otradny 70 4
Sweet Tangerine 3
Hilltop
Sophie's Choice
Chello
Sasha's Altai
Manitoba
Tumbler

Two pots of zuchini.

So far no heat plans. For this year I will probably bring in an electric space heater for September and maybe October. I will probably pull off the plastic before the winter snow hits.
Rick

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

I see...thought maybe you were using a woodburner.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Insane view from the greenhouse! And quite an impressive selection of Toms. Just a fabulous piece of property indeed.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Great job Rick I wrote you last night but poof ate it and now some of my questions have been answered. I knew pretty much wher you were when I saw the pic I asked if that was the main road into Juneau. I knew it could not be Icy straights sigh what a place.

The Earl Of Edgecome is one of my faves and is op as a bonus. Tumbler is also a dandy and I think you can grow it in a bucket on your deck after the middle of June. Have fun lucky. Ernie

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Beautiful View! And nice tomato list.. I am growing Sungold this year but have never tried any of the others..I have heard of several of them though and it was all good.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I had never tried Sungold before, but last summer Donna ( rutholive) from DG was passing through Juneau on a cruise ship, and she brought me a nice box of Sungolds from her garden in Washington so that I might taste some. They really were delicious. A big problem was that they did not keep well at all. In fact once my staff at the office found them, they only lasted about 1 hour and then .............. gone.............

Rick

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looking goood!
Is the snow already gone for now?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

It is all gone down at sea level.

You can notice in the backgroung of the photo, snow at about 1000 ft.

It was fairly sunny and warm today, but in the evening it cools down to about 40.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised to see it so warm already,when does the sun stay up to midnight there,has that already started or only during the summer months?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

We are not quite far enough north to have the midnight sun. It is light till about 9 or so right now. That will increase to about 11 next month or two. It is really tough when you hear the herds of screaming herring when the salmon surround them and move in for the kill. Terrible ........... terrible ......

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful beautiful!! I love the construction idea of the greenhouse...I have been looking for plans... do you mind if I ask where you found your ideas?? I love the idea of the hoophouse , as this would be the way to go for me here in hot and humid SE Texas~ I have a nice lean to greenhouse, but as anyone that has a greehouse knows, it's never big enough..lol...so I must build another...bigger and better~ lol
Wow what a great variety of tomatoes...do you grow peppers as well?? Debra~

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

No, I haven't grown peppers here.

The greenhouse is a Clearspan from Farmtek
http://www.farmtek.com/

I think I bought one of the smaller ones that they sell. They have a catalog online or you can just order a free one. My greenhouse was less than $900 plus shipping, plus the foundation work, plus the extra purlins that I will be putting in using local materials.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Debra - If you send me a personal email with your email address, I can send you a pdf file with plans and assembly instuctions. That will give you an idea of what is needed to put it up.

Rick

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Rick, I'd really appreciate that...here's my personal email: Autumnrhea@aol.com

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm looking forward to see the finale of your greenhouse construction....take some "as you go" pics...hehehe I'd love to watch the greenhouse unfold~ Now I'm off to check out the link you sent for the greenhouse supplies..thanks~ Debra~

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Debra.

I finally got a chance to work on the GH today. I put up the end panels, tied the GH to the concrete with wedge anchors and framed out the door. Last week I added a couple of extra purlins that were not in the kit but I wanted more places to tie off tomatoes and to hang baskets. If the weather is not too bad tomorrrow, I should have it done by tomorrow night.

Here is a photo of the partially completed GH.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Finally finished today and moved my tomatoes, squash and cucumbers into it.

Lots of work. It took about 3 or 4 times as long as I thought it would.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, but you got it done and now it's useable!

Looks great...

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Thanks Darius,

Heh - you're are in NC - you don't even need a greenhouse do you? You actually have some warm weather there.

Rick

Yes, in NC, and No, no greenhouse, just envy! I could use one, and have many windows in a storage unit for a make-shift one...

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Rick your greenhouse looks wonderful!Alot of hard work, and time, but you're going to appreciate that GH so much you'll want to build another...lol...are you building any benches inside?? Can you take a picture of the happy GH occupants??
Darius I have been watching the lcal papers for windows that people are throwing out, or replacing...I want to build another GH with windows...something whimsical, Alice in Wonderland looking...if you can picture that? lol so all sizes of windows will work.... Debra~

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I will be off line for about a week. My wife and I are headed to Nawlins to see my daughter graduate from Tulane. I will take photos of the inside of the GH when we get back.

I have a big problem. So far I have tomatoes, carrots ( for my granddaughter who is 5) cucumbers and squash. I have more tomatoes in pots than I have room for. A friend of mine with a BIG greenhouse brought over some of his leftovers and how could I say, "No" ?

I have some extra purlin space if I can put some of the tomatoes into planters and hang them. However my wife want to put some flowers there. See I haven't even had a week of use and it already is too small. :-)

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I would be glad to trade tomatoes of any variety for some Crab.... You just say when!

Drew

Foley, AL

off subject isn't alaska where they have killer whales....???

ely

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I have seen as many as 100 at a time. We have also seen them one or two at at time in front of the house here.

Rick

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

The filled greenhouse. A couple of photos. Tomatoes, carrots, flowers, squash and cucumbers.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

A different view for the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Well, one more photo. We have had about 12 tomatoes from this plant so far this year. It is a Balconi yellow. My wife went to a plant swap here in Juneau and brought it home for me.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick

You should post that photo in PlantFiles... trhere's an entry but no photo.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/101567/index.html

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Darius - It is done. Rick

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rick you have something the rest of us lack and that is more light per day. With the heat you will generate from the sun and the increased hours you will grow on lol.

The reason it took longer than you thought is it is first class nice job and it will pay you rewards. Remember your wifes flowers will bring bugs to your veggies lol.Ernie

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Rick I just love the way your gh turned out, and it's great to see what you have happily growing in there now that you're finished....what is your growing season like?? how long is it?? and do you plan on heating your gh for winter?? Do tell what your plans are...well some of them anyways lol~ Debra~

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Each year is quite different here in Juneau. We usually get some really nice weather in March and again in May. We gets lots of crud in between. Some summers it seems to rain every day and there is not much heat for tomatoes and things like that. the GHG will help alot with that.

With the GH, I can start tomatoes inside my home in Jan, put them in the GH in March. I can be eating tomatoes in June. We are eating some now. The only one ripe now are some Balconi Yellow that my wife bought in a plant swap for me. All of mine were started in March this year. Too late for June tomatoes. They are just getting small green ones now.

I plan to run the green house with a space heater until Oct or maybe even early Nov. Then i will take off the cover. The GH is not rated to hold a snow load. I am afraid of tearing it up. I will put it back up in March or when the snow is all gone.

Rick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.