Hardy Hibiscus

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Do these come up late in zone 7? I had some beauties and I'm hoping they didn't perish during the winter.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have not seen mine yet in zone 6 and really do not expect to until to until probably the end of May. I am not sure how much difference there is between our zones but I do not think I would panic yet. :)

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I have 2 of 3 just poking out in the last 5 days.My Lord Baltibore isn't showing any green yet and it's the one I really want to see.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

yes, they are very late risers. out of the 8 or so that I have, only 2-3 actually have little green nubs starting.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

I'm with Badseed...not a sign of life on mine here in Zone 6a. They are very late sleepers here too, but sure are worth it once they wake up.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

These are always my last plants to show growth in the spring. They don't start til June up here!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They're completely worth it. Mine had large beautiful flowers until frost. I guess that explains why I'm impatient! Did you guys prune yours? How close to the ground and when?

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

I cut it down to several inches from the ground in the early spring, mainly because it looks so bad. If I were to do it in fall, I'm afraid it might put out new stems which would then freeze. Don't know if it is the proper way to do it, but it didn't seem to hurt it a bit last year and I feel better about it when the fresh green shoots cover those old wood-like stems that don't produce anyway. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the hardy hibiscus can clue us both in.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I always cut mine back in the spring. I'm afraid if I do it in the fall or winter, I'd bury them or plant on them. LOL

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I cut mine pretty low. I bet that was a mistake.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Heck no, I mow mine down with the last mowing of the lawn of the year. They come back from the ground anyway, the rose mallows do, I have Kopper King and a Disco Belle Red. You should see some new growth any day now. Mine started peaking up just the other day. Like the others here have said they are slow to wake up but once they do you can practicaly see how much theyve grown day by day. I first notice they woke up when the dirt around them had pushed up from the rest of the area. Now they are about 1/2 to 1 inch tall.

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

My "southern belles" began peeking out last week (I'm in zone 6). Lord Baltimores are later -- no sign of them yet.

Sedonia

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Mine are waking up, too.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm still waiting for mine! Wish they'd hurry up.

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I've got a slew of them and I just cut at the end of the growing season about two to three inches above ground and they always come back with twice the stems. The ones that are in more shade take a little longer. Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.