critters in the wall or ceiling

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I have something that is in the wall or ceiling of our bedroom. It is active at night and sounds like it is either chewing on wood or nuts... a gnawing sound. When I pound on the walls it gets quiet and then starts again when I quiet down.

What should we do? Our house is brick with a big metal soffit, not sure how anything could get into our place, we are suburban with lots of trees around and often see squirrels and chipmunks in the yard.... also lots of birds.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Check the openings into the attic. There are vents under the eaves and if they are not properly screened all sorts of critters will enter the attic. I had this some time ago and had all of the openings closed with 1/4-inch hardware cloth and the little noises all went away.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

We had one of these! When we would knock on the wall, it would knock back. Kind of scary. It finally stopped when we got an opening near the eaves closed and trimmed back the trees, but we never did find out what it was.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My noise in the wall was a squirrel. When I heard the noise I went outside and watched the wall, my son beat on it inside....and out popped a squirrel! We would have never found the hole otherwise. It was where the meter box wires went inside, so we used that stuff in a can that puffs up. Good luck.......oh, BTW, we saw something hanging out of the hole and it was a snake skin! So I guess the squirrel did us a favor, no more snakes in the wall either.
Pati

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Yikes, snakes! Makes me glad to be in a COLD climate! Ugh.
I surmise it's a squirrel, didn't have that till they destroyed their habitat by cutting down six huge old growth pine trees in the neighbor's yard. Crazy people!

We will have to do an exploration like you did with your son... and fill the holes. I had squirrels in another house I lived in and they were bold little suckers. They also can get into TINY holes. Rodents have squishable bones.

Thanks for your help folks.
I'll let you know if we get them out of there.

Pittsburgh, PA

I patched a woodpecker hole in my wall with that puffy stuff once and the darn thing came back and made another hole. It was also a breed that pecks to attract a mate and used to pound on the woodstove pipe at dawn.... NOT a restful season!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.