Just to prove I don't lose all my labels!

(Zone 8b)

This is Pink Froth

Thumbnail by okus
(Zone 8b)

And this is Banana Frappe, but I'm afraid the wind has not improved it!

Thumbnail by okus
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

pink froth is pretty!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Its bad when you lose all your labels LOL /
yesterday the wind could have blew iris and tags both away .
Now they say freeze tonight
weird weather even for oklahoma

(Zone 8b)

Another label intact. This is Acoma.

Thumbnail by okus
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely, okus. You never know with tags. I have everything tagged with metal stakes. I found my five year old grandson walking around with about 10 the other day. He sure was having a good time 'gathering' markers. Good thing that I love him. :-)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I found a new ink that holds up well and need to re-mark the old faded labels. Walker only pulled 3 so far this spring. i guess as a German Short Hair nuisance, he's slowing down.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's why keeping current garden maps is so important! Between the dogs, cats, deer, my own big feet, frost heaving, and illegibly faded markers, I wouldn't have a clue what's growing where without my maps. As it is, I can take my maps out and identify every iris, marker or no.

As far as markers are concerned, I use vinyl miniblind slats cut to about 8". I cut one end into a point to make it easier to insert into my clay, then write the name of the cv on BOTH ends of the slat. That way if the top portion of the marker fades or gets broken off, the underground portion is still buried next to the plant, and the ink hasn't faded a bit! I use DecoColor Paint Pens available at craft stores on the markers. They generally hold up to weather pretty well and don't start to fade for several years.

Laurie

(Zone 8b)

I'm going to have to take mine more seriously after this years fiasco! The expensive Iris from Cooleys came with really good labels and they are all still in place, its my make-do and mend variety that the rabbit dealt with. thing is now tryin to dig a burrow in the middle of them - Rabbit Pie anyone!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Got a good recipe? The nieghbor's bunnies are eating my lilies!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Laurief: keep good garden records. Tags are great for the times your mind goes blank but a separate record for each garden (or in sections) is so valuable. Had all my plans printed out but drawn on a word processor. It died, I cried. Then I got this computer but there's nothing like the wp for ease of use drawing plans. Now I have to white out, copy, write in again. I even try to add the dates things bloom to match plants, colors and bloom times. So glad I kept the huge graph paper my hubby bought me years ago, before the wp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.