Thunbergia Mysorensis

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just had to share my excitement......this morning I received a number of cuttings of this plant. :D
http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=mysorensis If there are any special growing instructions please, please, please share them with me.

TIA *Ü*

This message was edited Apr 23, 2005 8:39 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Lucky you! Awesome plant.
:) Donna

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Way to go Pam!! From Butterfly world?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Can't really say Liz. ;)

Thanks ladies.......I really never thought I'd ever see it growing in my house (the bay window is going to be drapped very nicely with this one), Ü

This message was edited Apr 23, 2005 12:05 PM

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Lilypon,
I'm afraid I don't know much about this vine. I've had it for a couple years, and it is still very small. It's been repotted a couple of times when I had to move some things around, but I now have it in the ground. I would start it out in a small container and repot to a slightly bigger container when it gets rootbound. I do know that it will eventually become a large vine. Congrats on obtaining a lovely vine!

Check out this link: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1800/index.html

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the information you could give me Clare! Ü From what you are saying, and given your zone, I don't think I'll have to worry about it taking over the house anytime soon. ;)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Lilypon, I do think it is a slow-grower, but I may have mistreated mine and shocked it so it is hard to say. In the ground, it is just starting to put on some new growth, but it is still quite small given how long I've had it. You might put a support in the pot to give it something to climb on, like a thin bamboo stick.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have mine in a hanging basket on my front porch. It is mostly shade, only getting sun a late in the afternoon. It is getting ready to bloom again shortly.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oooooooooooooh Rylaff.........how gorgeous your beauty is!!!!!!!!!! :D Ü :D
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo very much for showing me that it is possible for this plant to bloom in a basket!!!!!

What do you feed yours?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Another question Rylaff........double post please see below ;)

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 4:13 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Another question Rylaff :) .........what is the measurements of the basket it is in?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Gosh, I am not sure what size it is. About medium size, not a big one. I feed it whatever I am feeding everything else, which right now, is a balanced fertilizer. It just bloomed a couple of months ago. Today, I noticed a bunch of new growth and more buds. .....

Thumbnail by rylaff
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Rylaff :D ...I was wondering about the root size (and pot it would need) since my Thunbergia battiscombei had a root that really shocked me (I planted it in a huge planter in the spring and in the fall I thought I could put it in a smaller one.......NOT ;). It prolly bloomed for me very early tho because of the planter I put it in.

Clare thank you so much for those links (I'll plant it in partial to full sun outside and hang it in the South facing bay window for the winter :). The pictures shown in those links showcases why I've been drooling and lusting for this plant.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 6:55 PM

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Pam-
The smaller the pot, the quicker it will become "mature". It will think it has grown all it can, and will bloom. That may well explain why Rylaff's is blooming in a hanging basket...

They grow very quickly, and very large, when planted in the ground. In your case(growing it indoors) and in your zone, I'd say get a pot that fits well in your window space, and let the plant adapt to that. The larger the pot, the larger the plant will become.

The less you repot it, the more likely it is to be content and bloom. Transplanting things can stress them temporarily, and may cauase a delay in blooming. In other words, I am suggesting that you get the pot you ultimately want to grow it in, and plant it permanently- instead of bumping it up from container to container.
I'd also assemble something for it to climb on and across your window. The blooms like to hand down from the vine in long racemes.

Most all my Thunbergias grow in full sun, and let their blooms hang down in the shade of the foliage. The blooms in shade last longer than the blooms in sun, too...

Most thunbergia bloom at the end of the summer. This is when I'd suggest you really give them the bloom fertilizer. Right now, I'd recommend you use superthrive, or some root stimulator, and regular fertilizer or compost.
...-once you get them rooted, that is...
Good luck!
-T

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Seedpicker thank you so very, very, very much for sharing your knowledge with me! Ü From what you have posted this summer will be the only one that I will grow it outside. As soon as they root I will put them into hanging baskets immediately!

This plant is rarer then hen's teeth here and I sooooo appreciate the suggestions everyone has given ..... now it has an excellent chance of surviving and blooming in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!! Ü

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Lilypon,you have chickens with real teeth?
What vareity are they?
Do they bite?
What do there eggs taste like?
Can you tell me where I might purchase some of them?
I need something to keep the squirrels at bay!!!LOL!
Seroius now,do you think you have better luck putting vines in baskets,rather than pots with a trellis to climb?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've grown lots and lots of vines in hanging baskets and as long as you have somewhere to hang them, I like it better than a pot with a trellis. A few didn't look so good because they were just one or two long vines and a few grew straight up and covered the eave of my house, but most did good.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL......given the amount of plants I have in planters Don I will treasure one that I can grow in a hanging pot. Besides that one looks like it *could* grow into a monster in a planter, and my bay window is only sooooooooooo big! ;) As far as hens go I figure if I have managed to get T. mysorensis, and it's in my house, there has to be one or two hens with teeth up here. ;)

Thank you as well for the encouraging words Cala Ü.....I'm checking those babies at least three times a day. Do you think I'd have even better luck using your coke bottle method to root them? Would you use water or soil in it?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I grow most of my vines in hanging baskets,passi's and annuals,I can only trellis so many,plus if I trellis them in the garden,it blocks my view of other things
I have hooks all along the south side of the house and they all go there
I have bougies in hangers too......

Its good to know this too can be grown in one cause its been on my wish list for years and I WILL get it this year

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

CC I think you and I are going to be having a really exciting summer....I personally will be shouting from the rooftop when these babies root!!! ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.