Saxifrages in bloom week of April 23

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have two more Saxifrages open this week. This is Saxifraga oppositifolia, perhaps one of the most difficult yet lovely saxifrages for the rock garden.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

And Saxifraga iranica...you might note that I grow most of the rock garden saxifrages in pots...they don't get swamped by neighbours that way!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, boy. Look at that oppositifolia. Todd, it looks beautiful. Is this the vaccariana? You told me you had trouble with it, but you've certainly succeeded in keeping this one alive and flourishing.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

They look very healthy. Beautiful plants.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The S. oppositifolia was a wild-collected plant from Labrador. It seems to have larger flowers than the norm so I will transfer it to our Botanical garden to see how it performs.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd,

Beautiful pictures, gorgeous plants, and a nice thing to look at first thing this morning...;o)

Above you said you would transfer it to your Botanical garden to grow it on and see how it performs. This is were your new job is, right?? What a great benefit for you....being able to have that resource at your finger-tips.....again - what a great job for you!!!

Have a Great spring day! ~Jamie

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The white saxifrage is Saxifraga versiculata, NOT S. iranica. Iranica should be open in another week or so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.