April 23

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, today is the start of the Kentucky Derby celebrations around here. Thunder Over Louisville begins and it can be a madhouse to try to get into Louisville, so we avoid it :) We had real thunder over Louisville last night in the form of tornadoes, lightening, hail, rain, etc. We've heard that a car was overturned, several people without power and on Interstate 64, there was a fatal four car crash near Frankfort, they are blaming on the wind. Several cars were blown off the road while traveling. My heart goes out to anyone that was injured from this recent storm. I also heard some houses were destroyed.

The weather has turned drastically cold. On Thursday, we were at 89, right now (10:00 a.m. Saturday) it is 41 and due to get even colder, perhaps snow. We are concerned about how this weather is going to affect the plants that we have in. We held off on planting tomatoes, after hearing the weather forecast.

DH had just moved almost 400 chicks (they're about 5 weeks old) old to a fenced in shelter in the yard from the greenhouse. Hoping that they will be fine. We have 300 more chicks coming next week. These are our meat chicks. Speaking of chickens, our other chickens (about 175 of them) have started laying eggs and so we will be back in the egg business again, only for our farmers' markets though....we don't want to sell wholesale to the stores anymore.

We had a couple hogs done this past week. Live weight they were around 320 pounds and have dressed out around 260! I'd say that's a good ratio.

We had a buyer for Marilyn Milk Shake (our jersey), but he never showed up. Not sure if he is going to or not. She has horns and like to get a bit ornery when DH is trying to feed them or clean out the pens.

The sun is shining bright today, but the wind is tremendous. It will surely dry out the fields from the rain the past few days, but then we didn't get the monsoons that they were predicting. Such is life as a farmer.

Happy Day,
Kathy

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!