tightening plastic on hoophouse

Lincoln, MA

How tight is the plastic on your plastic hoop? Wrinkles? Sags? We're installing a 48' double poly layer and just can't get it tight enough to satisfy my aesthetic, which would be perfectly smooth. Wiggle wire and channel lock. Are those wrinkles just aesthetic issues, or will it cause problems over time?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i have been told that it is easier to get 'smooth' when the weather is warmer....mine isnt perfect, but it doesnt whip in the wind either...but then again i only have one layer of plastic...i dont know if i would even wanna try 2 layers....lol...good luck

cindy

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Best to put it on when you have a between day as far as temperature. Around here that is about 40º.
If you get it to tight in putting it on when hot, it will maybe tear when it gets cold.
Depending on how big your house is, there can be lots of expansion & contraction by the temperature.
Double layer needs a little slack, so the air between can take up the slack. The more space between layers, the more insulation value.
Our 30 x 96 house looks like a flag in the wind when hot & windy. When it gets down to freezing, it is tight as a drum.
Good luck!
Bernie

Lincoln, MA

OK, thanks very much. Bit of slack sounds OK and even helpful. The only hoophouse I've really worked in before had really tight, smooth plastic. Now that I'm putting some on myself, I have NO IDEA how they got the plastic so even and consistently tight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.