little fly gnat-ty things on my seedlings

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Well in my Propogation Station -- there are these little fly/gnat things and ants can I spray an insecticde product on them this young? what are these bugs? any other helps? The plants are all too small to be hardened off yet (our last frost date isn't until 5/15)

Help!

Heather

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Heather, You have an infestation of fungus gnats. They are usually abundant when the soil you use is contaminated. A good reason to nuke your soil. The best way to fight them once they start to appear is to use Sticky Traps, a bright yellow card covered with tanglefoot. Place the cards on edge at soil level. On another thread someone suggested slices of potato laying on the soil will attract and collect the larvae. The larvae are more destructive than the gnats but the gnats are more annoying. Jessamine

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

You are also most likely overwatering as well. Gnats love moist soil so cut back the water and sprinkle a layer of fine sand on top. They will be all but gone in no time. And since you are going to be hardening off and planting soon-insecticides are really unnecessary in this case.
Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.