What To Plant (NW Las Vegas, NV)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 11)

I desperately need some serious advice!!! I have a 5' x 9' EMPTY section - bordered by house, and two (2) 6' masonry wall. It only gets morning sun. This section is on the eastern side of house facing west. Since it sits back a few front door, I do not want any shrub/tree that attracts bees or birds. The shrub/tree will be planted in a 20" x 20" pot. THANK YOU!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Are you just wanting to cover the walls with a vine that has no flowers?
Maybe a Boston Ivy vine.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 11)

Hello Tropicman...

The empty spot is 5' x 9'. A huge hole that I wish to fill. The pot is 20" x 20" WAITING for something nice, beautiful and complements the house and two walls. Vines would be too skimpy, I think.

Thanks for your advice.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

What is your zone?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 11)

I am in Zone 11, according to the Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK.

I'd like to put in an Elephant Ear ("Black Magic") plant. This area is protected by the house on the west side and two high masonry walls on the north and east side.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

My experience with black magic next to wall full sun,bleaches out the dark color,and burns the edges of the leaves,might have better luck with alocasia giant upright ear,mine take the kansas sun heat a lot better.
Dwarf cavendish banana would do great as well.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 11)

Dear Tropicman...

This area does NOT get the full sun. Any sun ends at noon-1.00PM. Incidently, how wide does/did your "Black Magic" leaves get after two (2) years?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.