Anyone else with this problem?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

The Invasion of the Potato Beatle! My potato plants are loaded with beatles and they're only 2 or 3 inches high! I must have picked off 2 beatles per plant and then sprayed with Sevin. Do I need to use a different/stronger spray? I've never seen so many potato beatles, I didn't have this problem last year, just a few which I mostly handpicked.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Red, you are probably ok, if those you picked off were hardshells (adults). Once they become covered with those larvae, they are very difficult to eradicate. I have usually been able to control them with Sevin applied as the adults began egglaying. There are not many other choices, except for restricted use insecticides which require an applicators license. Endosulfan (Thiodan) is one possibility. Azadirachtin (a neem oil extract) is an insect growth hormone regulator. works but it is slow. Hard to find also, Produced by a company called Thermo Trilogy.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Farmer, these are hard shelled adults, no larvae. I think I got most of them before I sprayed, I squished them all between my thumb and forefinger. Talk about a green thumb! Hehehe

Thanks again for your help!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Why, oh why, did I have to read this thread right after dinner?!?

Thanks for the visual Big Red:)

-Kim

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hehehe!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

What are you talking about ? I just read this andI'M ABOUT TO HAVE DINNER ! UUGGGHHHH ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.