Anyone know about the Alligator plant???

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

I purchased an "alligator plant" from a vendor at a local farmer's market. It produces offspring by growing "babies" in the "teeth" of its leaves. Does anyone know the best way to care for this plant and how to harvest the babies?

For those who don't know this plant, its leaves grow in pairs and have serrated edges, making the pairs appear like the jaws of an alligator. The underside of the leaves have a reptilian type of marking as well. So far, I have seen no bloom, but my plant has produced about 12 babies so far.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i dont know if this helps but i've seen this referred to as the 'alligator plant' also...

http://www.hortpix.com/pc81.htm

lil

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

Lil -

Thanks for the help, but that is not the same plant I have. Mine seems to be a bit more of a succulent (fleshy leaves/stems, etc. I appreciate your response!

Bear

oh, sorry i couldn't be more help..

lil

(Zone 9a)

Hmmm... sounds like it might be Kalanchoe daigremontiana.
Here is a site with a pic. and info:)
http://www.hortpix.com/pc2391.htm

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

Wendy -

That's it!! I wouldn't have thought it to be a variety of kalanchoe. It's really a great little plant due to it's unusual look and common name. It now has several pups and one has already dropped off and taken root in the pot, so hopefully I will have some to share with my friends by next year.

Thanks so much for identifying this odd little addition to my garden!

Bear

Neptune Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

we had very bad luck with it. it would spread everywhere. by wind and animals. it would pop up in the middle of the lawn. i would suggest kepping it indoors. seriously! =)

just pop the babies on the surface of moist soil and they should root no problem i just got one, but it's plain green, has loads of babies tho :D

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.