Cypress Vine

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

I have a Cypress Vine and it is doing wonderfully well. How do I harvest and store the seed for next year?

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

From this page: http://www.musiccityweb.com/lbl/NSGardensSummer.html

'Some seed-gathering tips: Leave the fruit (or flower) on the plant until they are dry, crisp, papery, or stiff. The seed should be black or brown. The best time to gather seeds is in the afternoon on a sunny, dry day, as wet seeds often mold in storage. Clean the seeds by pouring them from one jar to another in front of a low-speed fan; this removes any dry plant parts. After cleaning, spread the seeds on newspapers to dry for one to two weeks. They can then be stored in small, dry bags or placed in jar or other airtight container. Store the jars in a cool, dry basement, the vegetable crisper of your refrigerator, or an interior closet'

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, especially important to allow the cypress vine seed to dry on the vine thoroughly before harvesting. They will look just like mouse droppings :-)

However, my cypress vines reseed themselves almost to the point of invasiveness! Luckily, they transplant well. I just scratch out most of them and place the rest where I want them.

Aren't they lovely? I use them to attract hummingbirds, they love them!!

Dear BearOTex - Garden in 7B and if you allow cypress vines to set seed in your garden - you will have them forever.

Grew some five years ago - for 1 year - and to this day I am still pulling up plants.

Be careful - since you are in 8 you will have the same "success" I had with them. Good luck

Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Does the cypress vine completely die in the winter?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi, willieC - welcome! Yes, Cypress Vine is an annual, and will die every year. However, it's a vigorous reseeder, so you'll get new vines if you allow it to set seed. Here's the entry for it in our Plants Database, for more info: http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/93.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.