Transplanting Iris .....Fall is the best but what about now?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Don't you just love these. I planted them about 3 years ago but this is the first year they have gotten enough sun to bloom (tree removal).

I have a large patch of purple Iris transplanted to this property 9 years ago that have ceased to bloom because they have become so crowded, can I transplant them now or is it necessary to wait until Fall?

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Irises can be transplanted anytime spring or fall. Since these haven't bloomed now would be a good time to divide them.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Judy,
Those are beautiful!
JanetS

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Janet, didn't I sent you one of these? Did it make it?

Sun City Center, FM(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Apr 22, 2005 3:22 PM

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, if you are thinning out an old bed that has ceased to bloom, now is a great time since they will have all summer to get established. I took a bunch out of some deep shade where they had been abandoned by some previous owner of my property and I put them in a sunny spot and gave them plant food and they have bloomed for 20 years now. I thin some of the iris every year so that I always have a good bloom crop going. If you do every one all at once, you risk having a bloomless bed. I also send them off to my garden club's plant sale in June. Usually with the flowers still on so people can see what they are getting. I take pictures of the earlier bloomers as well for this. Good luck with your iris.

Martha

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for the information, I'm making plans to transpant.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I had a few blooms but the Iris are in a death struggle with wild muscadine vines and must be relocated.

Thumbnail by judycooksey
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I dig mine out and transplant whenever, and usually don't have any trouble with them - the most trouble I have is the new ones that come in the fall, and frost heave out of the ground in the winter...I don't know if blooming is a problem if you move them before they bloom. By the time I move mine, they are usually in a life or death struggle with quack grass, and I don't really care if they bloom that year or not!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Then you know exactly how I feel!!! Thanks for the info

Judy

Pleasanton, CA

Judy, what is the name of the iris you have pictured on April 30? I am trying to identify a similar one in my garden in CA.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry I don't know the name.

Why not post a picture of yours asking if anyone knows the name.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.