Here Come the Dwarfs 2005

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am so excited--- Dwarf iris are invading my beds today! These little SDBs are weeks ahead of my Tall Bearded and a welcome breath of fresh air. Many I have grown for 2-3 years, but have been caught by snow or frost in the past.

Chanted SDB

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

How about Monster SDB. I swear I didn't see any buds yesterday....

Bedford Lilac SDB is covered with buds--here is the first bloom.

I've been waiting to see Triplicate SDB for 3 springs--and worth it!

And who can resist the sweet peachy pink of Pink Preview SDB?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I knew you had to be close, Wanda, cuz I'm feeling pregnant fans up here! Isn't it just TOOOO exciting? I love the way these littleuns can pop open blooms before you even realize they've got buds.

I probably won't see my first flowers until mid-May, but I'll sure enjoy seeing yours in the meantime.

Keep 'em comin'!

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Love those Dwarfs. I've never grown them but might just have to now.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Wanda---

thank you for posting your pics of the dwarfs---I especially love the 'Triplicate'.

Mine have just come into bloom this week for the first time, and I love 'em--I never thought they would be so verrrry cute (interplanted with creeping phlox) and they are just the ordinary purples. One of my first e-bay plant purchases, so I didn't know quite what I was in for, but now I have to have More!

Good luck with your iris. Pls. keep posting your pics, especially when the tbs bloom...t.

Laurie--you're right! I was photographing daffodils & other blooms when I spotted them. Buds one day--full bloom the next! Wow! Quick little devils!

I ran out to see that Pirate's Patch SDB, April Angel SDB, Mister Roberts SDB and Urban Star SDB are showing color on buds that weren't there yesterday!

Immortality TB has big buds--kinda early??? It bloomed last Spring AND last Fall. Orange Petals IB & Az Ap IB are setting buds. WOW!

Of course, I'd better not get too excited or the garden gods will smite me with a hard frost like last year. Killed 1/2 the buds & only saw 2 dwarfs & a half dozen Intermediates bloom.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

We're going to be getting hard frosts all week, and I can feel buds in the fans of a bunch of SDBs. This'll test just how tough these littleuns can be.

I'm going to be mighty disappointed if I lose all this glorious bloom I'm anticipating.

Laurie

Laurie-- does it do any good to cover them? or too many to cover? I'm amazed that something so small can be so bright....

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Too many to cover AND I don't think any sort of cover would protect them to tonight's predicted 22 degree low.

Nope, they're on their own.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Wanda, thank you for all the wonderful pictures!!! Made my morning!!

Judy

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Great Pictures!

Pink Preview ~ my favorite!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, you are so organized. Mine are not tagged but most are a bicolor. White and purple, they are done blooming here.

I was wondering if anyone has toured Iris City Gardens in TN? I received and invitation and it mentioned 50,000 iris. Wow!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Great pic ,
Wanda you have great SDB and while your out looking at them be widening the bed . The iris fairy said more are coming to your house in a week or two .Let one in and the whole family will show up at your door
Just like relatives ?

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, GREAT pictures! I really love Chanted. My only SDB Iris (I think!) is blooming like crazy right now. Bloomed for a whole month last year.

Making Eyes

Thumbnail by llilyfan

llilyfan--LOVE your "Making Eyes"! I think I can spare a "Chanted " for you--wanta trade?

Tazzy--What? The semi is on the way already??? Help! Gotta go tear off some grass. Got your list Tazzy--any more I need add? Did you check out my plantdatabase perennials?

Go to run home now & look for new Dwarfs lurking in my garden. I feel like a character in "Harry Potter"

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, I thought you'd never ask!!!!!!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Me too! I've had two bloom - DH took pictures I'll have to load, but they were my first and they're so tiny and cute!

Sue, I'll give you one of everyone SDB I have if you want to dig alot of shallow holes... I still owe you big time for filling my garden with lilies last fall!

Stitch Witch & Apricot Tart bloomed today but the rain made them look pretty mushy. 30s tonight & tommorrow night--hope the freeze doesn't get them.

Big buds on Silent Springs and Toulouse plus a bunch of the others. I'll post em when I see em....

Okay, here is one that's blooming well: Apricot Tart. The "tart" is the brillant Red-orange beard.

Sweet little Baby Blessed opened this morning. She's a relaible fall re-bloomer.

Jewel Baby is one of those really dark purple dwarfs. It's just starting it's bloom cycle....

Urban Star decided to make an appearace today. Looks great!

This little beauty features purple stitiching on the edges of standards & falls: Stitch Witch-SDB

Mr. Roberts SDB is a butterscotch yellow. He's just starting to show his color...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.