White Easter Lilies

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

I need some help. I bought some white lilies that were left over from Easter. They are still blooming and beautiful. I tried to plant in the garden, when I removed the pot there were a lot of scales falling from the bulbs. Do I plant these now, or wait for them to dry? I would appreciate any advise on how to handle these.
Thanks...Peg

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

You can move them now, just take all the roots and as much of the dirt as you can and be careful not to break the stem.

Or you can wait until the plant goes dormant (prolly what I would do).

Cheri'

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Cheri,
Do you plant the scales too?
Peg

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Peg - Yes you can plant the scales or try scaling them indoors yourself. They will produce tiny bulblets and will grow eventually into flowering lilies. They can take anywhere from 2-4 years to grow large enough to flower. Here's some info on scaling.....

http://www.landspro.com/page4.htm

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/propagation_seed_starting/105602

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Sundry & langbr ... I had 14 of these lilies and started planting, when I removed 5 of the lilies from the pots all these scales came loose. Do you think I should plant the remaining 9 lilies roots and all instead of removing the scales? I have a 4" pot filled with scales from the first 5 lilies.
Peg

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Start an Easter lily farm. big grin here.
Inanda

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

That's what I would do - plant the whole thing.

Cheri'

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Inanda - You are probably right, after reading some of the info, if I follow the directions the whole yard will be these white lilies. I think I'll just plant the rest of them as is.
Peg

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Chesapeake - we sure want to see what you have next year. I'll bet you'll have babies popping up all over the place. Good luck to you.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Chesapeake, What are you going to do with all the scales ---- and DONT say you have already chucked them.
Inanda

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Inanda,
No, I haven't chucked them. Right now just sitting here in a 4" pot .
Want some?
Peg

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I planted MILs as soon as the blooms were done and she asked me what to do with it. That was last year's and the year before's. Both are up already. The one I planted 2 years ago had 4 blooms last year. She didn't get one this year.

Thumbnail by kooger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.