When to pick?

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

I just got a tomatillo plant and it already has two on there. I was wondering when do I know it is ready to be picked??

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

The husk/papery skin on the outside will split and Viola! Well, you have to say that in French or it looks like you grew a viola:) I am growing pineapple tomatillos this year.

-Kim

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kim, you are also growing green tomatillos, because I have too many seedlings started! :-) Only 4 of my purple tomatillo seedlings survived, so I may sow a few extras. I have lots of pineapple tomatillo seedlings too; they're one of the few things remaining to transplant into cell packs.

This is my first year growing tomatillos, but I think Kim is right about the husk splitting when the fruit ripens.

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I was wondering about the papery husk on the outside. We just saw them at the nursery and decided to give it a try. Wow Pineapple tomatillo... never seen that but it sounds good. Thanks for the info!!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Why thank you Critter, I will be glad too. I can taste the salsa already. I am sure you have some peppers I can add when they are ready!

Kauai17 - I have seen purple, green and the yellow pineapple. P.S. Every time I see your screen name I think you are in Hawaii - one time you posted something that made me really notice - Ahhhh, Texas. :)

-Kim

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Hehe I wish I was in Hawaii. I picked that name because that is where my DH and I honeymooned at and we just feel in love with the island.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.