How long before it will bloom

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I planted three 2 ft. high lilac brushes at the end of summer last year. They are about 3 1/2 ft high now and bushing out very nicely. How long do you have to wait before one will bloom?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

2 or 3 years? Be careful how and when you prune or they won't at all!

K :~D

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Don't prune them at all until they bloom. I guess they didn't bloom this year - ? - so it sounds like next year for sure. Hard to wait, eh? I just purchased 5 of the tinest lilac plants. They said 3-5 years. I don't know what I was thinking! Well, yes, I do, I was thinking of my pocketbook.

Gwen

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

O.K. What happens if you prune them? I bought a Wedgewood Blue lilac 4 years ago from ?Field's? (not sure) it was 6 inches tall. My husband ran over it with the lawn mower the second year. I have been waiting. Now it is 10 inches tall, very healthy and branched, no blooms. Is it not going to bloom at all? ( I won't be too upset. This will give me an excuse to go to the garden center).

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought three lilac a few (4?) years ago. Two bloomed after one year, the other waited two more years to grace us. I did verbally threaten it. Someone told me to try giving it a "root prune" by digging around the drip line of the bush, just with the spade, about 8 inches deep. Not removing anything, just cutting into some roots to stress uncooperative bush. I recounted this procedure to bush, and voila, it bloomed, no need for spade. I wonder if anyone has had success with actually using the spade?

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I am waiting for my lilacs to bloom too. I have used the spade on my wisteria, and it worked, but I haven't tried it with the lilacs. (I will!)

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I planted a Sensation lilac first thing when I moved into my new house - here it is, my third spring thereafter. It's tallest branch is about 6 feet, and it looks like no blooms this year either. I am so sad... I missed the lilacs sooooo much when I moved to CA, and now that I am back I am so looking forward to it. Hope I don't just have it in the wrong spot...

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

My BIL has a bunch of lilac brushes and they are just about over there blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.