new at container gardening

Southern, United States

I am new at container gardening, really any kind of gardening and I was wondering if I could plant 2 types of vegetables in one container of should I plant them in separate ones? I wanted to a red bell pepper and an eggplant together, but wasn't sure if it would work. Also how many plants should I put to a container, such as the eggplants. if I did 1 container of eggplants should I do just one per pot? Thanks!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The size of the container determines how many plants you can use. Peppers and eggplants are usually compatible. I'd suggest you check this site: http://www.containerseeds.com. The owner of this small seed company is very knowledgeable and writes a monthly newsletter to which you can subscribe without obligation to buy seeds. Do you already have containers you want to use? What size are they?

Southern, United States

I don't have any yet....I was trying to decide whether I should buy 1 larger to do both or should I get smaller ones and do individually. Any tips?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i have grown eggplants in five gallon buckets in the past. i would suggest putting one plant in only.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I have always planted one plant only in 18" or 20" containers. The bigger the container the better. Don't chinch on size as you need a good root system.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

If you use something as large as a half barrel, you can use two or maybe three plants, but you'll need rich potting soil, and remember that containers will dry out faster than in ground plants so check for moisture as often as twice a day when the weather is very hot and/or windy.

Southern, United States

Thanks for the tips! Do you think that 5 gal is the minimum I should use?

This message was edited Apr 25, 2005 3:38 PM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

for big plants like tomatoes eggplants and peppers i would say yes.

Southern, United States

thanks for the input!

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all, being a newbie and I'm sure the idea of adding a reservoir with buckets to grow veggies has been looked at here before! If so, please direct me to the correct thread so I can update (educate) myself.

For example, I have some 15 X 16 X 7 inch styrafoam containers (each hold 3 gallons of water) that I'd like to use with 2.5 or 5 gallon buckets, door felt and PVC pipe in the way described below to make them self-waterers:

1. Sit the buckets on top of the styrafoam container.
2. Drill 2 holes (.75 & 1.5 inches), through the bottom of the bucket and the top of the styrafoam container. The .75 inch hole will have .75 inch PVC pipe with a "T" at the that will house a felt wick terminating either in the bottom or the sides of the buckets. The 1.5 inch hole will be a filler tube.

Although I think this system might work I have questions that I think you all can help me answer:

1. Will I water-log the soil?
2. Will I cause root rot?
3. Will I suffacate the roots?
4. Has anybody seen someting similiar that I can use as a reference?
5. Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance for any and all forthcomming coments.

Bernie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

your diy idea sounds a lot like the self-watering pot I bought at Ikea and finally assembled. Ask the folks in the "budget living" or "penny pinching" or whatever-it's called forums. They like those kind of projects!

xxxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

your diy idea sounds a lot like the self-watering pot I bought at Ikea and finally assembled. Ask the folks in the "budget living" or "penny pinching" or whatever-it's called forums. They like those kind of projects!

xxxxxx, Carrie

It's called FRUGAL LIVING!

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

WOW, budget living or pennypinching I thought it was DIY just like barrels cut vertically as oppose to horizontally or $5.00 yard waste baskets used as planters? I didn't know those forums, especially, whatever existed; but I shall check.

Thank you.

Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.