Wanted: a good cement mix that will sustain power spraying

JERSEY. C. I., United Kingdom

Every year I have the same trouble, more cement flyes out from between the slabs on my patio, when I am power spraying them,so I would like a good mixture to combat this filling in every year. I have tried 3 to 1 as most books say. Please help me

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Are you putting a portland cement mixture between the cracks separating one slab of concrete adjacent to the next slab?

Yes, but it does not seem to stick to the side of the slab, so that when I power spray chunks of cement fly out and I have to infill again.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Got it. The big question now is... Why are you trying to fill the crack? Those control cracks are intentionally put in the concrete slabs to allow for settling, expansion and slab movement. They keep the slab from cracking where you do not want a crack, like the middle of the slab.

Concrete will never fully stick to itself unless it is treated with a bonding agent. Even then, the concrete being brittle will always crack where you are trying to put it. The bonders I have used are not labled for areas exposed to wetness. There are some concrete crack puttys that are flexible and stick well. You could use one of those. However, those puttys will not match the color of the slab and look like someone put goo in the crack.

The big question, as I stated, is why would you want to do this? There are other methods for repairing the cracks that happen in slabs where they are not supposed to occur. The method you use depends on how you plan to finish the project.

Thanks for info

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Instead of using concrete to fill in the cracks, you might consider the idea of replaceing as much of the concrete with soil and planting a ground cover such as Irish Moss in the spaces. Then the cracks will look as if that was the way it was planned. Dotti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.