Cold weather coming..

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

So guys and gals, we have some cold and dreary weather coming our way. What should we be doing to protect our new perennials? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Nick

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

The perennials should be ok, if you're really worried about them you can throw a sheet or something like that over them.
The lows around my area are forecast to be around 34/35 with a rain snow mix.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I was a little worried about my Delphiniums and Lupine that are in the back acre. Thanks for the info.

Nick

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Snow in the forecast... hu-hu-hu :(
I'm going to re-spray my roses with Wilt Pruf.
I'm in a rural area and those late Spring hard frosts are a bummer!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

gonna be hauling tender stuff inside from the greenhouse even - grrr Michigan....

Well my Delphs were looking a little droopy this morning. We had a pretty good frost here in Mt. Pleasant. Ugh..

I think I will cover them for the next couple nights.

Nick

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we had a heavy frost here too-I dont cover a thing!
the only thing that is sad is the apricot tree that is just starting to bloom!

cant wait for this to pass!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

Is your apricot tree a well established tree? I didn't know we could grow apricots that far north. I'd love to buy one. How has yours done so far?

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda I have one that has been here for yrs and one i bought 9yrs ago! They are loaded as long as we dont get frost while in bud. I have made lots of jam and ate lots of fresh apricots here. I just hope the buds stay closed till the cold is gone. I have picked bushels before! yummmy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

they said 2-6inches in my area(tri cities) and the thumb-i almost cried!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

OUCH!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Ouch is right! I just checked accuweather for AuGres and it says 1-3 inches possible. I am not going to dig up anything else to transplant up there till winter leaves. :) I hope my perennials will be OK. I think they will. Most are in a raised bed and some are under the protection of a big old pine tree. None of my trees are blooming up there yet so hope this won't harm them. I will have to look around for a nice apricot tree now. Maybe Rodgers has some. I'll call and see.

Brenda

With thecold and frost should I be covering my beds at night? What about if we get the snow? I have some 5 and 3 gallon plastic tubs from plants i bought. Would those be a good idea to use?

I could use lots of help, this is relatively new to me :)

Thanks,

Nick

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Nick
If you've got something to cover your beds with I would do it.
It sounds like you folks a little farther north are going to get colder and more snow than us down here in tropical SE Michigan.

Paul

Thanks again Paul.. I am orignally from Lapeer, and the climate does seem to be different just 100 miles away.. I am headed out right now to cover the little guys up.

Thanks

Nick

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Im not going to cover anything-this happens every year and I think the plants will all be fine. I hope we do get snow if its going to be that cold! It will insulate everything again! ;) I have tons of tomato plants and daylily seedlings in the GH with NO heat supply and so far so good!
I sure hope this is the LAST of it!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

first year with my greenhouse and I spent the whole evening hauling things inside. I did leave all the geraniums out there (too many to lug up the hill) It took me hours....am I paranoid or what? (no heat in the GH either!) sigh...

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Where is everyone? I rented without a paddle and mr 3000 to watch today
DH just ran to menards to get me some roses! I got DLs in the mail today-going out to the GH soon!

Its snowing here but nothing really has stuck! my fingers are crossed

Ugh.. I just picked up 12 trees from our Conservation District and it is too darn cold out there to plant them :P. We are getting flurries and lots of cold wind right now.

The trees are bare root, wrapped in some heavy brown paper, so I am keeping them kinda moist till a little bit better weather prevails.

I am staying in today. Blah.

Nick

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Snowing and very windy here too. Not sticking so far. Hope it stays that way.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Are you watching the radar on weather bug-that system is spinning right around and around over US! We are starting to stick as the temps fall and sunset approaches!

Here is my garden flowers last Tuesday when it was 82 and we were in shorts in the garden smelling all the spring flowers. Cant wait to see what it looks like come morning!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

well they said 6-10, but I think the ground is to warm for that ,, it is starting to stick on the boat and cars now and some areas of the grass, I was out covering some plants earlier today,, now I'm just hoping it melts fast !! and we dont get as much as they say

Well.. We are still getting snow here in Mt. Pleasant. It is late, I am on my way to bed.

I am glad I covered all my perennials earlier tonight. I put the tubs over most of them, and covered a few in the back acre under some trees with some landscape fabric. Hope all is well in the light of day.

Nick

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Still snowing here today, some is sticking. Windy as well.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

as you can see i cant cover all my flowers-we wouldnt have any blankests or sheets left in the house if i did that so i just trust that they shall be FINE!
This is just a portion of the garden Lizzy and I were playing in last Tuesday when it was 82!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha

this is what I woke to this morning

Thumbnail by cacolos

Cacolos,

I woke to the same thing. I went out and brushed the snow off a few tender plants. What a mess. Hopefully by Monday all will be gone.

Nick

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cold weather STAYING~ it is still snowing here(all day)some has melted but it hasnt stopped-slow down around 2ish and then started back up around 4.

I cant wait to see the SUN! Just had a hot jet tub bath(didnt even need it LOL)just to warm up and not see or think about snow, got my daylily books out(dangerous)and going to watch "Without A Paddle" again-i loved it made me lol inspite of the weather

DH(Dale)went out to the gh first thing this morning said it was 40in there and all my babies looked good-this was after his joke----->the plants in the buckets are frozen(my daylily orders)isnt he the funny one!!! ;)
I kept an electric heater in there on HIGH for the whole weekend!(80degrees)

I hope everyone weathered the winter weather this spring weekend. grrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

id say maybe 3inches of white ****! ;)
the weatherman said 5in in bay city-its melting

This message was edited Apr 25, 2005 6:49 AM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Its not sticking down here, little bit on the grass but nothing on the pavement.
Better days are coming supposed to be near 50 tomorrow.

Paul

Dori,,

I know I got my hosta books out !! added more to my wish list !! eekk,, at least the ground is warm and its not sticking as much,, but we are grilling steaks today !! naanananan to mother nature !! let it snow we shall still grill....
its just lovely,,, i dont mind once in a while in the winter being stuck in the house, but its spring and I done being sick !! I wanted to play in the dirt !! waaaa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.