Potting up my vines

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Spent most of the day,potting up.Last year 1 gallon to 2 gallons,this year,I'm not going to mess around,going from 2 gallons all the way up to 5 gallons,I know they say pot up a little at a time,but the cost of containers and potting mix ain't getting any cheaper,so I added my own compost to the potting soil along with some cheap kitty litter,to help stretch the potting mix somewhat,even some sand from the sand tubes I have in the pickup bed,I use for weight in the winter time.
Well I've potted up one dozen now working on the second dozen.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Tropicman-
I think you are misplaced! lol...you belong in the tropics! lol...it would save you a lot of work! lol...
What are you doing in zone 6??!!
-T

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Story of my life,always in the wrong place !!!
What would I do with myself,if I didn't have to plant, repot and dig up everything repot again in the fall!!I'd have too much extra time on my hands,that might just get me into trouble!!!!LOL!
Heck come to think of it I'm always in trouble for something or another!!!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Don, I don't blame you for going right to five-gallon pots. I bet they will be fine. Are you sure that Kitty Litter is okay to put in the mix? Doesn't that bind together when it gets wet? If you have a farm supply that sells the big bags of Perlite for cheap, that should help to make the soil stretch more. Sand is good too.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You are working up a storm over there! Whew! I think that I would be worn out after repotting the first two vines...and you're potting up 24 of them!

Wichita, KS

Looks great, Don!

Where you get all your energy is beyond me...LOL
Send some over here to the North side of town, would ya?

When are you planting out your cannas and your elephant ears? Have you done that yet?
The castor seeds you gave me last fall are doing great. Sprouted well and are a little over a foot tall.
I started some of the PF seeds, as well. Can't wait to get them outside and see the wonders they will produce.

Have you set your bananas out yet?

Look forward to watching your posts and your pics . . . keep them coming!
~Nut4Spuds/Nikki

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Clare,Hmm don't know about the kitty litter or not,but far as clumping,there's not enough in each pot to make a ball the size of a golfball,really can't even see it in the mix,I had some left over from cleaning up a oil spill on thre driveway,it was old and just really wanted it out of the garage.Never thought of checking with a farm supplier,good idea!
Hi HG,I thought all the noise and lightning was coming from mother nature yesterday,and not from me working up a storm!!!!! All I got from that was the high winds,not a drop of rain,just tree seeds everywhere,and you know what that looks like when they all start germinating!!!Good grief tree weeding again!!!!
Hi Nik,making any chocolate cakes lately!!!!LOL! Don't think I've had any since my 5 by pass surgery Halloween weekend,been saving up for some tho!!!
Yes I've got everything planted in the ground,and now big coldfront is on its way Saturday,mother nature must really be upset with me!!!
I think its safe to plant cannas and elephant ears now and anything other bulb or root,you might hold off another week for anything above the ground.
You get over this side of town stop by and see me,I get lost on the north side,
bien your almost to Colorado state line!LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.