Sassafras albidum

In a thread on a different forum, I named Sassafras albidum as one of my top 3 trees, and lamented that I didn't have any growing on my farm.

Imagine my surprise when just today I was walking the perimeter of the farm and found a grove of sassafras, growing right alongside the road, on the edge of my property.

Many of the trees are maidens or younger, but a few of them appear to be at least 10 years old, 15' feet tall and baseball bat-sized trunks. I'm happy as a clam with all this sassafras!

Now to figure out how to get those sassafras seeds to germinate...

Dave

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Germination according to Dirr : moist stratification @ 40F for 120 days then sow @ 70F . Let me know how you make out , buddy .

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

http://willow.ncfes.umn.edu/silvics_manual/volume_2/sassafras/albidum.htm ... Lots of info regarding sassafrass :)

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8A)

You think honeysuckle is bad! I think sassafras being called stolonoferous is a very mild understatement. If you find a way to market this stuff, let me know. I could retire! :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Dave - Sorry to go off thread here but why can't I get all your text on my page? I have to go to either margins, to and fro, to read your post. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.