What do you feed your lilies???

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all ~

I was doing some reading on lilies today as I have several new-to-me types coming up right now. Several sources said to feed various things at the time they start to come up, and some said again at flower...one even said again in late summer-early fall to help bulb beef up for winter. Now, I don't plan to feed mine that much...but was wondering what and when you all feed. Many of you have grown lilies so much longer than I , I would love to hear if you fert, what you feed your lilies, and when.

Thanks in advance guys -

Jamie

ps. A double rainbow at my house today...:o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

How.. great picture of the rainbow.. they are so hard to capture on film.. great job (did you find the pot of gold at the end ??)

I do not fertilize my lilies in the fall. I simply don't see the point. The useful photosynthesis is ending and all you risk is rot.

I fertilize my lilies in early spring as they break ground and then again just before flowering (or after flowering if asiatics.. they flower so fast).

I like to use 10-20-20, but I have also used 10-10-10 and Osmocote (14-14-14).

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

kd.....

Thank-you for answering! I also didn't agree with a fall feeding. But liked what you said about the feeding as they emerge, and then again at bloom, or right after. This is what I am planning on doing in following years...this year they have all the yummy stuff I added to the planting hole...to get them off to a good start...;o)

Anyone else do anything different----I would love to hear it!

Thanks ~
Jamie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I slather well composted manure on top of each clump. Then I fertilize as soon as I see them. Then again before flowering and again after flowering. Thats it. The manure goes on top of the snow sometime diring the winter, when I get around to it.
Inanda

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

inanda~

What do you fertilize with at first growth, bloom start & bloom end??? I also gave compost/well-rotted manure on each lily group in late winter....just wondering what others feed at the other times...It amazes me that with our zone difference we can grow the same lilies...what an amazing plant!!

Thanks for responding!

Jam

Thumbnail by jamie68
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

First fertilizer is always a sprinkling of 20-20-20 or 19-19-19 granular. I buy it in a 20K bag from a farm supply. Same thing farmers use on their fields. Then a good shovel of alfalfa pellets (pure, without any molasses or corn (growth inhibitor) in it. If you can't find pellets then get horse cubes and break them up a bit.

When watering I add a bit of epsom salts now and then.

In past years have used 45 gallon barrels with a mixture of manure tea and alfalfa. Let it perk for a couple of weeks and then use. When empty, fill with water again, let it perk for a couple more weeks. When empty 2nd.time I use the sludge as side dressing. Must let you know this really smells horrible in the barrel so keep a lid on it. Use this on all lilium and iris. This is the first year I won't be doing this. Had some perking in 5 gal buckets but most buckets are for covering plants when weather goes below freezing (like last night after days of 15 - 20ºC)

Inanda

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Inanda~

Thanks for all the great info! I have used alfalfa pellets for 2-3 yrs on everything I grow, but not as a tea w/ compost. I have let compost steep, adding epsom salts at application time (small handful of epsom salt around plant-watered in with compost tea), but have not mixed alfalfa & compost for a tea...will try when I have a plastic garbage can w/ lid to try it in....I like the idea of using sludge left over as a side dressing. I clipped out the above entry and entered it into my garden journal. I will start a batch next weekend and have it ready for first bloom.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.