Help my Canna's are sprouting

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I bought some canna bulbs the last week of January from Lowes. I have kept the bulbs inside on a shelf, maybe I should have put them in the refridgerator but I didn't.

Now the "president" bulbs are sprouting....I was going to plant them today because we have had a few 80 degree days but it is rather cool this morning, 69 degrees.

Our last frost date is April 15th but the date recommended for annuals is May 15th. I have already put some zinnias and salvia's in a pot anyway.

Should I plant the sprouting canna's because they are sprouting or is it ok to wait? Or should I just give up and buy some more?

Thanks,

Maureen

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I have mine in small quart pots, when the time comes for us, May 10th, I will transplant them to the garden. Just pot em up right now and hold em inside, this way you'll have earlier blooms too!

J

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I recommend that as well. They start selling stuff in the stores WAY too early, and it is the only way sometimes. If you wait to buy, they are dead in the package or sold out. So I get what I want, and then start them early. You also get earlier bloom this way.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I agree about selling to early, I was surprised to see Lowes had a ton of seeds, bulbs, grapevines, strawberrys and others on sale in January here. I did buy them because I was afraid they'd be gone or picked over by spring, which they are.

I will take you all's advice and pott and keep then in a few more weeks.

Thanks alot, this is my first spring as a gardener!

Maureen

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Maureen!

I live in Chicago zone 5b same as you. I planted my cannas two days ago. I always plant them early because it takes awhile for them to set roots and come up. Even if they've sprouted some you can plant them just a tad lower and they should do fine. The ground protects them. 69 degrees in the morning is paradise in my opinion! I've never lost a canna to frost and our last frost date is supposed to be April 15th but everyone around here usually waits until May 15th for tender annuals (anything above ground).

Good luck on whatever you choose to do and have lotsa fun gardening!

Toni

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Well, the rule of thumb is supposed to be "ground temps of 65 degrees or above" in order for them to grow, however, they will start budding out sooner, per experience. Stick them in the ground. As long as you have well-drained soil, you're fine. I grew up in your neck of the woods and I know the climate well. The only caution I'd have is if your soil is very wet, you might want to wait until it's easy to dig.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

How low can you go? How cold can the soil get before killing the rhizome?

I put my in pots (too early) and then it dropped to 23 degrees one night. But I had them close to the house so I don't think the soil ever froze. Do you think they are goners?

Jefe

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

They're probably fine....shivering, but fine. :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

They'll overwinter outside with very little protection here. Mom lives in Paducah and never did a thing to hers...they've had sprouts above the ground for well over a month now, and hers were never even mulched. They're hardier than you think. most folks never dig theirs at all here...but we are a tad warmer.

I'd put them in the ground....just make sure it isn't muddy. I think they will be fine as late into April as we are at this point...it's nearly May, and St. louis isn't all that further north. If we can leave ours out, surely you can plant them the first of May.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Get those puppies in the ground now ........they'll be much better for it.....and do not ever refrigerate cannas!!

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.