Almost Fledged

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I got a call from a friend last week about some Loggerhead Shrike, Lanius ludovicianus, babies. I left work and went to meet her...I just had to see them! This is one of the parents, close enough to keep an eye on us and the 5 babies

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Loggerhead Shrikes hunt like a hawk, swooping down to capture their prey with their feet. Unlike hawks they don't have strong feet and talons so they must incapacitate their catch quickly. This is done by a sharp rap on the head to stun or a rip across the spine with the sharp beak. The Shrikes then impale their prey on a sharp twig. thorn, etc. and eat at leisure. Nice, huh? LOL

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

They were so cute!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This one was watching for the parent...they were still being fed. I saw one flutter to a nearby tree so they were close to being airborne

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Feed Me!!

My favorite picture of the day. Parent flew nearby and the babies wanted food!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Port Neches, TX(Zone 9a)

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice photos, Floridian. Excellent timing on the last one. All of your photos have good clarity.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

flor--your shrike series is great! how close were you to that baby? very cute pics...t.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Great photos of the Loggerhead Shrike Stacey! I really like the Shrikes, but haven't seen one for over 40 years. I saw several species in Pakistan way back in 1964, and once somewhere in the 1960's, I was lucky enough to see a Grey Shrike in England. I think all species impale their prey on thorns to build up a larder and are often known as butcher birds, with their larder supposedly the butcher's shop!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks all!
Tabasco most of the pictures were taken from about 20 feet, I'd guess. We could walk up to the tree but that scared the babies so we stayed clear. They were still pretty nervous with us at 20 feet or so. They were in the tree next to the nesting tree. I was sure sorry to have to go back to work, I was hoping to get shots of them being fed.
There you are Ken! We don't see these Shrikes often, usually over meadow or prairie habitat. These birds were in small landscape trees that border the staff parking lot at Brighthouse Field where our local baseball teams play and train.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The photo of "Feed Me" is awesome!

Modi'in, Israel

Stacey, that feed me shot is my favorite too! Absolutely outstanding shot! The funny thing is, the babies look more fearsome than the parents! And what a gruesome way to eat....glad I'm not a fieldmouse in their range LOL

-Julie

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pictures! Those little babes are too cute. I saw my first Loggerhead Shrike just a month or so back. They are interesting birds.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Stacey, that shot of the baby saying 'Feed Me' is exceptional. All were very good. We have the Logger head Shrikes here too. They are a really beautiful bird. DonnaS

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I really like that one. I'm printing it now for my office wall...We don't see a lot of shrikes here but they aren't uncommon. Unfortunately most of our open land is disappearing

I'll just got a message yesterday that a fairly local cypress bog has become a rookery for Wood Storks. The 4 or 5 pairs of storks are now in the process of building their nests. How cool is that?? Care to guess where I'll be Saturday morning! Ü

Stacey, you should consider trying to sell that photo to a magazine...

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Gosh Donut, I wouldn't even know how to go about it. I suppose I should be more proactive with my pictures...

Yes, you should. Wouldn't it be nice to be paid for the "special" pictures that crop up? You really are quite talented, a combo of camera and heart.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great pictures. Of course, your facorite is my favorite. Exceptional.
We have many of these around here but they are very secretive about their nest. I have never seen one.

trois

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Trois. I was surprised at how out in the open these birds were...right near the edge of a busy parking lot. Of course the lot is gated so there's no entry unless the park is open. Maybe that's why they feel safe, besides at least 9 out of 10 people wouldn't see them or care if they did.

Here's a picture of the nest, surprisingly not very hidden and right next to the pavement

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a couple more...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Close up of a baby...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great p[icture of the baby!

Around here Gators are the most shy critter. Different places have different things to fear. Most birds here are unable to tolerate eye contact, but the doves seem to like it. Also the Cardinals. Most Bunnies are very unafraid.
The Red Eared turtles in the big pond are very nervious about eating the fish food, but are unable to resist. The catfish feeding make so much noise when feeding you can hear nothing else. A flock of Bluebirds came up to see what all the noise was about yesterday while I was feeding.
Snake picture?

trois

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

How true...the catbirds around here are very skittish but will land at our feet when we go to south Florida.

The snake pictures are in the thread Swamp Snake here in Wildlife

Modi'in, Israel

Stacey, that last baby pic is really outstanding too! Such wonderful detail! :-)

-Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.