My first alpine flowers of 2005

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Finally, spring has hit my rock garden. My first Kabschia saxifrage has opened...mind you, it is the least showy but very tough. It's called Saxifraga sancta 'Macedonica'.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This is Scilla miczenkoana..it's like a Puschkinia on steroids!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Although not technically an alpine, these snowdrops are small enough to use in a rock garden setting. the single form is on the left, the double on the right.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Crocus biflorus, not easy to find but well worth it.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

And Crocus tomassinianus 'Ruby Giant', a fairly common crocus.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

I just love the snowdrops. Sweet sweet sweet. I'm off to look in plantfiles to see if they can grow here.

edited to say: The following is plantfiles search result for snowdrops 'We don't have any exact matches, but 356 possible matches are presented'..
LOL, could you help me narrow my search please?

This message was edited Apr 18, 2005 2:51 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Angele, here's the link. They will grow in zone 7b but don't like to dry out completely, so New Mexico might be a problem.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/762/index.html

I am planning/developing a small bed to try my hand at a few of these. If I keep it small I hope I will be able to make a micro climate. I have several spots that get just a few hours of sun either in the morning or late afternoon. I am thinking morning sun would be best.. Something I have to nurse along is perfect for my personality.
I posted a picture of my 7' agave to the photo forum. It just started sending up its flower stalk.. I mentioned your snowdrops in my comments. What a diverse planet.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd,

Just as all of us have hit a lull in posting pics, you inspire us all with your spring (finally ;o) ) alpine pics!! Love your Sax, And all the other wonderful pictures...so glad you finally can shake winter off--is this a little later than usual, or is this about normal for you??

Have you grown the double snowdrops yet?? Mine came back this year, so have had them 2 seasons now, and they are sooo delicate and amazing in detail...Can't wait to plant 100 more this fall.... LOVE them!!

Have a Great SPRING day...;o)!!!!!

ps...have you grown Campanula Saxifraga??? I have only seen it at Siskiyou--wondering what you might know of it?? with a name like that I had to get it..lol :)

Thumbnail by jamie68
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I grew C. saxifraga from seed. It is in my cold frame now and should bloom this year. It is growing at our Botanical Garden and is quite lovely.

Our spring is about normal...maybe a week later than normal. I hope to have some more saxifraga pics within the next week.

In my snowdrop picture, the double form is on the right. I've had it for many years.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love the crocuses and of course the snowdrops. I'm adding to my collection of named varieties all of the time but there's nothing like the good old single and double nivalis forms you have here.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd ~

Was so excited to see spring pics from you I missed the doubles....I should slow down a bit...lol ;o)

I look forward to seeing your rock garden unfold...and of course to any Sax pics...I got two more in my Mont Echo order today..among many other neat plants of course...;o) You are so right about that nursery, the quality and selection is consistently outstanding! And well worth the shipping in my opinion - you just can't count on getting plants like this from many places these days! They sure have my business!

The Saxes I got were S. 'Elliot Ford' and S.'Penelope'...do you -or have you ever- grow these two?? Just always look forward to your words of experience...

Maybe if you have time I could send you my list of new plants from Mont Echo, and you could give me tips or suggestions on them?? Have looked them up but some are not in my literature. Just let me know when you might have a minute, I know you are a busy man...;)
I can't wait to see what pictures you have for us next....

Thanks ~ Jamie

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm ba-a-a-ack, but who knows for how long? Every time I start using this new computer, I suddenly get a message saying "Malicious script." No one at CompUSA has ever heard of that message, so I can only conclude that this machine is possessed.

I received my plants from Alpines Mont Echo today too, and I was extremely pleased with the plants and the packaging. My new saxes are Rosemarie, Eliot Ford, and Peach Blossom. Believe it or not, I will be sending pictures of them soon.

The camera I bought is an Olympus D-425. I bought it at the computer store, but I ended up having such hassles with the service department that no one ever showed me how to use it. As soon as I've figured it out, I'll start sending pics.

Jamie, the computer is a plain old eMachine. I was going to trade in my Gateway, but they ended that program two days before I called. How I hate machines, not to mention computer stores! They were supposed to transfer everything from my old machine to the new one. They somehow managed to lose all of my word documents, my settings, my Cyrillic keyboard, my beloved Office 97 programs, my bookmarks, my mail, my address book, and perhaps many other things I haven't missed yet. And...they took five days to do it!!! I could have lost them in one, and I'm no technician. The only things they transferred successfully were an obsolete version of Netscape, an outdated Adobe, and an expired McAffee antivirus program, none of which I wanted.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Zuzu~

I was soo happy to see your post, I missed you! I knew the reason we hadn't heard from you must be computer related...and I am sooo sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having with your new equipment! It is such a pain in the A** to have to buy new computers, but to have so much trouble with your new machine---UGH!!!

I am so happy to hear you got an Olympus...I really think you will love it, once you have a chance to use it and get used to it! If you would like to email me privately with any questions about taking, editing, or posting pictures, I will do my best to help, after hounding you endlessly to get the camera - its the least I can do!!

I also got my Mont Echo order today--such fun!!!!! My Siskiyou order was a week ago, and my Arrowhead and my Wrightman orders are the next two weeks! I also have a HUGE perennial order from Heronswood and another from Jadare (eBay-what deals I got!!!). I am a very happy gardener...:o) Since I closed on this house and now know I will be here to see them all grow-up, I felt like ordering alot of plants....so I did...LOL ;o)

Must go - more tomorrow!

Jamie
ps...some mont echo plants having a drink after the long trip..;o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I guess Maria knows it's still cold in my neck of the woods since mine will not be mailed until May 2. However, Beaver Creek should arrive today or tomorrow.

I have wonderful news....I am now the research horticulturist at our local Botanical Garden! I applied for the job over 2 months ago. Interviews were last Wednesday and Thursday and I got the call yesterday. I will heading up a project called Plant Atlantic. My role is to select and/or breed new hardy ornamentals based upon native plants and/or existing ornamentals. Our intention is to release these plants on the International market in order to collect royalties to carry on my work. A plum job! Guess I'll be starting my alpine seeds there instead of my house (where I have no room anyway). Beauty thing is, the Botanical garden is only 5 minutes away and it houses the largest Canadian rock garden east of Montreal. Life is good.

There will be no end to the pics I can post of some spectacular plants, as the Garden has over 1600 varieties in their collection. Surprisingly, I have many plnats they don't have, so I will no doubt be adding to their collection (and hopefully their's to mine).

Must go check the status of my Kabschias.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

Todd- what terrific news! such a neat opportunity. of course we'll be expecting (esp. us cold zoners) interesting plants to try very soon!!. I've been trying to catch up with that explosion of tasks that spring in new england brings- one week winter, the next....help!!!, so I haven't had a chance to be at the computer so much. I'm glad spring has come your way too. got to get a lesson from one of the kids about how to post pictures, cause I still don't know how! keep your pictures coming! sarah

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd ~

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you! This sounds like a dream job for you, like a job tailor made to fit your skills and interests. I can imagine how excited you must be, and to be so close to home......very nice job!! This simply seems like a case of getting to have a job doing what you love! And they are lucky to have you, so a real win/win.....;o)

Oh, and the pictures you will post......I can only imagine...LOL;o)

Again - congratulations!!!

Jamie

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Congratulations, Todd. What wonderful news for you, and for us. We'll be reaping the benefits along with you.

Jamie, what a cute picture of your new babies. I recognize the Ramonda and a couple of Lewisias because I also got them in my package. Did you get bonuses? I got a bonus Lewisia "Rainbow" and Soldanella hungarica, both of which I had ordered, so they are twins now and I can experiment by putting them in different places.

I've never done the e-Bay thing, but I just got some gorgeous plants from Top Tropicals. They charged me $54 for shipping! The actual cost on the box was $55.50 (priority overnight mail), though, so they didn't make any money on it. They're mostly hibiscus and crossandra and have huge gallon-size dirt balls packed around them. The hibiscus are at least 3 feet tall already, and they were on sale for $4.95 so I didn't mind about the shipping.

I just might e-mail you with a scream for help. I'm still trying to make the computer work, but I'll be moving on to the camera soon.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Todd,
Congratulations! Best wishes with your new dream job, it sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you.
Sue

What wonderful news Todd. A plum job indeed. Congratulations.

I have missed you Zuzu... hope the puter problems get worked out.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Angele. They are getting worked out, but this new machine is so much less satisfying than my old one. It takes forever for pages with pictures to download. Don't know why. The modem is the same speed as the last one and I never had this problem with the last one. It must have had some extra gadget I never knew about.

We had fierce winds and drenching rain all day today. Couldn't go outside, but couldn't complain either. The rain helps to keep the water bill down at a reasonable level. Meanwhile, I have pots and pots and pots of things to plant (and nowhere to plant them). The house next door is being sold, and I tried to talk my friend into buying it so I could extend my garden for another half-acre. She didn't seem to think that was a good enough reason to shell out $750,000. Oh, well....

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Zuzu ~

Well, I just can't think of a better reason to spend 3/4 of a MILLION dollars than to aid and abet a raging plant collector - can you??? LOL ;o)

I feel so bad for you - that dang new 'puter of yours....going slower is NOT ok! While I had a bit of a time getting everything wired and ready - a laptop w/ wireless internet networked to the kids new desktop PC and both hooked up to 2 printers....took a bit of time and several visits from my computer guy, but once all was connected and up & running it was awesome!! Super fast, and it really stinks if you go thru all this and have a Slower computer.....UGH!!! ;o(

On to nicer things - yes I did get a couple of extras with my Mont Echo order, and all the plants were superior quality! Other than Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery I have never gotten better plants through the mail...Lewisia cotyledon 'Rainbow' and a Fritillaria I have NEVER been able to find anywhere - since I grow pretty well any Fritt I don't have already - this was an ecspecially nice "extra" for me...:o)

Some of the other plants I got are Ramonda myconi, Erodium acaule, Mertensia sibirica, 3-4 Saxafragas, 2 Gentianas, 2 other Lewisias.........and others I am drawing a complete blank on the names of.... Many of these things are to choice and too small and sensitive to grow in my Rock Garden, so I planted my first "Alpine Planter".....it is so cute, and is going to be sooo very pretty as things fill in, I just love planting these plants in containers, I don't have actual troughs, but I have many neat containers, and many more I want to buy, and it is much more fun to plant them with these plants than annuals, fuchias, etc.....Zuzu, once I see your containers I will get even more ideas I am sure ;)

Happy Spring!!!
Jamie
ps...a slightly over-bright night shot of Primula japonica & a double Primula '??'

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Jamie. I love to start my day with a primula picture, and it's not over-bright at all. Do you think the slowness could be from the two antivirus programs I've got running? Maybe they're fighting it out over which should inspect incoming files. The stupid CompUSA people fed McAfee into the computer, but they didn't tell me, so when I got the machine home and Norton kept insisting on being uploaded, I got Norton too. Oh, well. They're both free trials, so I'll eventually get rid of one of them.

The Alpines Mont Echo plants are super, but so were the ones I got from Beaver Creek and Mt Tahoma. I'd say they're all about equal, including Siskiyou, and I have the highest hopes for Wrightman. Have you ever bought anything from Digging Dog? They have a few alpines and I've been buying plants by mail from them for about 15 years. They send huge plants and they always have the best assortment of thalictrum and alstroemeria. I have some 15-year-old geraniums in my garden from the first order I ever placed with them, still thriving after all these years. This year I got some androsace, edraianthus, and saponaria from Digging Dog, in addition to some non-alpine cuties.

Have you ever ordered anything from Plant Safari? They have a dichorisandra I want for only $6.00. It's somewhat fragile, so I'd rather not pay too much for one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.